I think I found a fossilized bone

Daniel Fischer

Hello, yesterday I was on a trip and found a rock that I think is a fossilized bone. I know this rock doesn't look like much but please don't judge it too fast because if you look closely it kind of has the shape of a bone, I don't know if I managed to capture the shape of it in the pictures and to me it reminds the shape of a Homo sapiens shoulder.

please tell me your thoughts and ideas :brokebone: 

bone1.jpeg

bone2.jpeg

bone3.jpeg

bone4.jpeg

bone5.jpeg

Sorry. I wouldn't dismiss it lightly, but I'm afraid in the end I don't see bone here.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 2

Not seeing a bone here, unfortunately. :unsure: 

• I Agree 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I agree with Tim and Dale.

More than just shape, be on the look out for texture. Some fossil bones show a kind of spongy, porous texture (cancellous tissue) in cross section. Surface areas will also be distinct with a kind of smooth, occasionally "glossy" surface. 

• I Agree 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

23 minutes ago, Kane said:

I agree with Tim and Dale.

More than just shape, be on the look out for texture. Some fossil bones show a kind of spongy, porous texture (cancellous tissue) in cross section. Surface areas will also be distinct with a kind of smooth, occasionally "glossy" surface. 

I know that bones have this porous texture as you said, so if this rock is anyway probably not a bone do you think it's a good idea to cut it and see inside?

Since it doesn't appear to be bone, I don't see the harm in cutting it and having a look-see.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

5 hours ago, Kane said:

I don't see the harm in cutting it and having a look-see.

:chuckle: I fairly flipped there until I realized Lori's example wasn't the post after a hammer blow.

• Enjoyed 2

• 2 weeks later...

Today I took a piece of my maybe fossilized bone and looked at it under my microscope. I am not a professional and neither my microscope... but I was able to see the texture of the rock and compare it to photos of fossilized bones on the internet. I found the texture to be petty similar and on top of that I may be able to cut it open soon. 

so with the growing possibility to tell for sure if this fossil is a bone or not I wanted to ask you if this rock is a bone what kind of bone do you think it is? And I would love to hear anything you have to say about this.:brokebone:

It may take a bit of finessing but I have been able to take some great photos through a microscope lens using my smartphone.  You can try doing that and posting a photo. However, the shape does not resemble any bone I have seen. Here is a recent post that shows how chert nodules can appear in their natural habitat (so to speak).