Petrified Wood ID

MacHoffman22

I started collecting smaller chunks of petrified wood but sometimes find these larger chunks that I believe are also petrified wood. I would just like confirmation to make sure I am not misidentifying specimens.

1617564120188930802793473974889.jpg

16175641914835966730441048204009.jpg

Where is it from?  Depending on the location, I would be more tempted to call it metamorphic rock. But I’m not a petrified wood collector, so...

On 4/4/2021 at 3:24 PM, MacHoffman22 said:

I started collecting smaller chunks of petrified wood but sometimes find these larger chunks that I believe are also petrified wood. I would just like confirmation to make sure I am not misidentifying specimens.

Welcome to the forum, Mac

I am trying to clarify your goal...

Of the items you are finding that "seem to be rock", are you trying to solicit criteria that would allow you to differentiate between metamorphic rock versus rock that once started as wood?

or

of the petrified wood you find,  are you trying to determine which kind of wood, this specific specimen,  started as (oak, ash, cypress, etc, etc) ?

I have relatively little Petrified wood in my hunting area.  It is scarce and there is not a lot of my finds that look like the surrounding rock. So,  exactly where you find these specimens, and what is around them, that could add to the confusion of identification.

I have added some examples from the Peace River...  These things look like wood, but in fact are rock....

IMG_0944grpwood.jpg

IMG_0945FossilizedWood.jpg

IMG_0947FossilizedWood2.jpg

IMG_0948FossilizedWood2.jpg

IMG_0949FossilizedWood.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Any specimen I choose to keep is generally clearly petrified wood. What I am trying to determine is what exactly these larger pieces are. The larger chunks I keep like the below pictured piece generally have a very amber color to them and look almost flakey or grainy. They have a smooth waxy feel to them. There is one small piece in my collection that could definitely be schist but that sample is not pictures here. The submission of the schist samples definitely helped to clear that one up at least.

16181799564925002144704423367.jpg

In this picture it doesn't look like wood, not saying it isn't though. Could that maybe be layers of calcite?  I have peices of calcite that resemble wood.