Is it an Easter egg? On concretion?

CrystalCroc

My friend found this egg in Ventura County, California (in the United States) about 20-25 years ago. She said the missing outer piece just happened this year. She doesn't know what happened or who broke it.

I tried to look up photos of fossilized eggs, but none looked right. It *could* be a concretion, but I'm no geologist. Any idea? It's roughly 8 inches long and a tad over 5 inches wide at its widest point.

Thank you!

20210403_190827.jpg

20210403_190839.jpg

20210403_190852.jpg

20210403_190915.jpg

20210403_190922.jpg

20210403_190932.jpg

Edited by CrystalCroc
Increased number of years ago when it was found
  • I found this Informative 1

23 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Concretion, I'm afraid. 

Thank you! My new friend who is a geologist wrote to say if it isn't from an area with Mesozoic land fossils, it wouldn't be a dinosaur egg. I searched online for Mesozoic fossils in California, and Ventura County would not have any. Only an area close to Nevada, a good 5+ hours away. Oh, well. It's still a cool looking "rock."

• I Agree 1

I wouldn't rule out the possibility of there being a fossil in it. In many formations a certain (unfortunately usually small) percentage nucleate around a fossil. 

• Thank You 1

And if you have access to a rock saw, they can be exceptionally beautiful cut and polished. Search septarian nodules

• Thank You 1

3 hours ago, fossilcrazee said:

And if you have access to a rock saw, they can be exceptionally beautiful cut and polished. Search septarian nodules

I did see septarian nodules in my search. My SIL may have a rock saw from her grandfather. He certainly had one and used it often, but he's been gone for several years now. I'll ask her. Thank you! Though I'd have to ask my friend her thoughts about the possibility of a fossil within.