Trilobite - Is it real and what species is it?

Hi,

I purchased this trilobite from a rock shop. After doing some online research, I think it’s real but would like some more opinions. It passes the tooth test (feels like stone). Also, if it is real, does anyone know what type or species it is? TIA!  

ECFBC0AD-542E-4C83-932C-9E058448D39C.jpeg    A46ED59C-9F1B-46A0-B017-02B85CE42A53.jpeg

D6B87451-A435-440E-A1D9-F6ADE0CC0730.jpeg    7D685256-E9A2-4216-9855-C5DD4FEBF57A.jpeg

Seems real to me. These phacopids are fairly common and so not really worth faking. As there is so much variation with these, sometimes the one sure way to determine species is by a lens/file count of the eyes. Although it looks similar to Reedops with the inflated glabella, those usually have lateral nodes along the axis. At best from these images I would say Phacops sp. I'll tag @piranha in case there is another morphological feature here that stands out to make a much better determination. 

• I found this Informative 3
  • Thank You 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Without a clear image and count of the eye lenses, the best educated guess would be Morocops (=Barrandeops, Phacops) sp.

Chatterton, B.D.E., Fortey, R.A., Brett, K.D., Gibb, S.L, McKellar, R.C. 2006
Trilobites from the Upper Lower to Middle Devonian Timrhanrhart Formation, Jbel Gara et Zguilma, Southern Morocco.
Palaeontographica Canadiana, 25:1-177  PDF LINK

McKellar, R.C., Chatterton, B.D.E. 2009.

Early and Middle Devonian Phacopidae (Trilobita) of Southern Morocco.

Palaeontographica Canadiana, 28:1-110  PDF LINK

Van Viersen, A., Holland, D., Koppka, J. 2017
The Phacopine Trilobite Genera Morocops Basse, 2006 and Adrisiops gen. nov. from the Devonian of Morocco.
Czech Geological Survey, Bulletin of Geosciences, 92(1):13-30  PDF LINK

• I found this Informative 5

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png