What's left of rugose coral?

Lone Hunter

I have zero experience with corals, so just going by pictures I've seen on this guess. This was in creek with Alluvium/ Eagle Ford mix, I spent about an hour prepping it to expose the top and smooth side of what was a mound with vague outline. Hope I didn't screw it up too much!  

IMG_20210404_202022057.jpg

IMG_20210402_070744630.jpg

IMG_20210402_070735753.jpg

IMG_20210407_103813659.jpg

6 hours ago, oyo said:

If it´s Cretaceous it´s not a rugose coral.

Why would it be cretaceous? Given this is an alluvium find, there is no way to determine age, or even source. However morphology is consistent with a rugose coral.

I am always finding things that don't belong in this area for the reason stated above, in addition there is a lot of fill/erosion control rocks mixed in as I have learned. Also have things collected from area in the Trinity river flood plain near Lone Star park thats mixed in.  Makes it more difficult to learn and ID things for sure.

3 hours ago, LabRatKing said:

Why would it be cretaceous? Given this is an alluvium find, there is no way to determine age, or even source. However morphology is consistent with a rugose coral.

In tags she said :  coral cretaceous.

If it's rugose coral it's not cretaceous.

Do you like it better like this?

I see how that was confusing in the tags, I was just referring to the the age of this area, which does not always match up with what the creeks and such bring.

@LabRatKing, @oyo,

so lets speak the specimen for itself: What do you think, rugosa or scleractinian? From the texbook, the differences should be clear, but can we really decide for this out-of-context specimen? I can not decide...
Franz Bernhard

Edited by FranzBernhard

Would the appearance of the 'button' in the middle (plate?) make it rugosa? 

5 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

@LabRatKing, @oyo,

so lets speak the specimen for itself: What do you think, rugosa or scleractinian? From the texbook, the differences should be clear, but can we really decide for this out-of-context specimen? I can not decide...
Franz Bernhard

image.jpeg.e03417babbd608e75f53e05adf50bc46.jpeg

• Thank You 1

8 hours ago, Lone Hunter said:

I am always finding things that don't belong in this area for the reason stated above, in addition there is a lot of fill/erosion control rocks mixed in as I have learned. Also have things collected from area in the Trinity river flood plain near Lone Star park thats mixed in.  Makes it more difficult to learn and ID things for sure.

That is the nature of alluvium- stuff washed down by a river. Plus, as you say we humans move a lot of rock around.

Hace 8 horas, FranzBernhard dijo:

@LabRatKing, @oyo,

Así que permite hablar el espécimen por sí mismo: ¿Qué opinas, rugosa o scleractiniana? ¿Qué es la de la película, pero ¿podemos decidir realmente por este tipo de fuera de la cuencia? No puedo decidir...
Franz Bernhard

Oh no, I don't know. If cretaceous must be Scleractinia but if no sure stratigraphy ....... pssss.

• Thank You 1