fossilsonwheels

I found an interesting fossil in my Mesaverde formation matrix yesterday. It has me scratching my head a bit. At first I thought it was a Sawfish rostral but after a bit of research I am not sure. I think it looks like Cretamanta possibly. 

It is the right size at 1mm. 

I had had some difficulties with the equipment at work today so I only got one decent picture. 

A959253D-DE1F-42FE-B253-58834B3BACA0.jpeg

Here’s another Mesaverde mystery and one I just can’t get good pictures of yet. 

I can best describe this as somewhat resembling a Paraisurus missing the root lobes. I am not saying I think that is the ID but it’s the best comparison I can think of. I have found one similar tooth but I just can’t get anywhere on the ID. 

6mm in size. 

ED9848D5-9C41-4C19-9C2D-DA301AFED97E.jpeg

25A5A851-929C-471E-AD13-FF98DA77F83F.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

4 hours ago, fossilsonwheels said:

. I think it looks like Cretamanta possibly.

I don’t have a lot of experience with Cretomanta but I think this is a good match for one.

• I found this Informative 2

12 hours ago, Al Dente said:

I don’t have a lot of experience with Cretomanta but I think this is a good match for one.

Thank you. 

21 hours ago, fossilsonwheels said:

I guess a second picture turned ok. 

I should probably tag in a couple of folks that might be able to help lol @siteseer, @Al Dente, @MarcoSr

C13B3BE3-7C3F-442A-84F4-7FCC85D726F5.jpeg

Looks like Cretomanta to me based upon the Cretomanta teeth that I've found.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

I think I solved the mystery of the other teeth that were perplexing me. I think they might be Cretoxyrhina parasymphseal teeth.

6 hours ago, fossilsonwheels said:

I think I solved the mystery of the other teeth that were perplexing me. I think they might be Cretoxyrhina parasymphseal teeth.

With specimens that size without a complete undamaged root, you have to consider the possibility that the specimen is a cusplet from a much larger tooth especially when the root seems unproportionally large or bulging.  I find cusplets all the time in matrix.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

On 4/10/2021 at 3:40 AM, MarcoSr said:

With specimens that size without a complete undamaged root, you have to consider the possibility that the specimen is a cusplet from a much larger tooth especially when the root seems unproportionally large or bulging.  I find cusplets all the time in matrix.

Marco Sr.

I have considered that as a possibility for sure. I have found quite a few cusplets in my micro searches including this matrix. I looked at cusplets from some of the sharks that I thought could potentially be found in this formation. I haven’t seen a good match to these particular teeth yet but I can’t rule it out either. 

Better pictures are probably my best chance at solving the mystery lol