What is this creature and what material was it covered by?

SATXPaleo

Glad to be back. I'm here to share a rock fossil my co-contributor and research partner discovered. It was unearthed in north San Antonio, TX. I believe this to be "the smoking gun" of proof sea turtles once inhabited the shoreline and ocean of San Antonio and that an event of great magnitude occurred covering these creatures and allowing petrification to occur. Bold statements and conclusions, but this appears to me to be a small sea turtle that is sticking out of whatever material covered it. And it did not decompose.  Your thoughts?

20210408_235005.jpg

20210408_235444.jpg

20210408_235321.jpg

20210321_162208.jpg

20210321_161338.jpg

Edited by SATXPaleo

Need something for size comparison. I was looking at it all wrong until you added the last picture.  I thought there was already proof of sea turtles and mass extinction and I think petrification so to speak only happens in frozen places.  I don't see a turtle, maybe inclusions someone can identify.  Just a novice opinion.

• I Agree 2

Sorry, but showing photos like these and making such unfounded statements probably won't convince anybody here of your theory. I'd suggest that you and your "research partner" take it to a practicing paleontologist at your nearest museum for assessment.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I think most people agree sea turtles used to live there. Some are fossilized. There are ice age turtle fossils found near San Antonio as well as Cretaceous turtle bones found in Texas. Your find does appear to be limestone which pretty much is formed under water. Unfortunately I don't see anything that looks like bone in your specimen. I have found chert and infilled burrows in rocks in your area that look like your samples. You are lucky to live where fossils are common.

To clarify a different point, petrification does not require cold temperatures as someone stated above.

30 minutes ago, Scylla said:

To clarify a different point, petrification does not require cold temperatures as someone stated above.

In fact silica is soluble in hot water, so it seems likely that the opposite is often true.  

• I Agree 1

No "creature" here.  Only a rock with different mineral inclusions, probably limestone with chert. 

You should probably start your research with how fossils form, what they look like, what can be found in your area, and maybe some geology lessons. 

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

When I said petrification 'so to speak', I was just using his term but referring to the type of preservation he thought the turtle had, a completely intact body like those of a Mammoth preserved in ice. I just didn't bother explaining. 

2 hours ago, Lone Hunter said:

When I said petrification 'so to speak', I was just using his term but referring to the type of preservation he thought the turtle had, a completely intact body like those of a Mammoth preserved in ice. I just didn't bother explaining. 

I think exceptional preservation may be a good way to express the thought.

• I Agree 1

• Fossildude19 locked this topic