Tucson Show Photos 2021

Troodon

19 minutes ago, ThePhysicist said:

Thanks for showing us around. Did you take home anything worthy of your collection? 

No.  Most of the dealers I would do business with were no shows so I saved a bundle.   

On 4/9/2021 at 10:19 PM, Troodon said:

However if you are into Fossils especially dinosaurs and shark, as expected, its been very disappointing. 

What I see on these pictures is still way more impressive and better than anything I have every saw at a fossilshow in Europe. :s_cry:

5 hours ago, Abstraktum said:

What I see on these pictures is still way more impressive and better than anything I have every saw at a fossilshow in Europe. :s_cry:

It might be but relative to past years it's a bust on the fossil side.   It has volumes of stuff but whats is missing are the better fossil dealers from North America and Europe and those that exhibit like the Black Hills Institute and Triebold Paleontology.   The folks buying at the show are mostly owners of stores/websites across globe restocking their inventory.  Collectors are few and why should they come,  few are selling shark teeth or nice Dino material.  There is always next year when "hopfully" we will have a normal show.  BTW there are still lots of venues that I have yet to visit that are very similar to this one but also carry high end jewelry. 

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

Very interesting, Always wanted to go to a show. Feel bad for all the merchants who go to the trouble to set up for sparse crowds. Alot of that stuff is heavy and awkward. They must store this stuff locally after show. Just curious do you make a full sweep and come back to buy item or do you pull the trigger as soon as you see an item. Are there trunk of the car sellers and what is your opinion  on that ?

Edited by Buteo

19 minutes ago, Buteo said:

Very interesting, Always wanted to go to a show. Feel bad for all the merchants who go to the trouble to set up for sparse crowds. Alot of that stuff is heavy and awkward. They must store this stuff locally after show. Just curious do you make a full sweep and come back to buy item or do you pull the trigger as soon as you see an item. Are there trunk of the car sellers and what is your opinion  on that ?

The crowds are not spare for the trinket/jewelery merchants and they appear doing very well.  Store owners need the inventory for the year and summer so they are buying.   Its The fossil dealers that did not show up who were mostly impacted and the few that are there seem to be okay since they are the only game in town.  Very few store locally since most have other venues to sell during the year..   A number of the fossils dealers that did not show up will be attending the Denver show in Sept. or the NY/NJ show in Aug.  The Tuscon show is the their only source of income.

At a normal Tucson show  you have to make immediate decisions to buy or not.  Nice material does not hang around since there are hoards of collectors and online dealers waiting to buy.    You always have a few diggers selling privately if you know them that great.  Its discouraged by show organizers.

• I found this Informative 1

Very interesting, is this the best era for collecting dinosaur fossils in your opinion or do price increases negate the increased selection available. 

1 hour ago, Buteo said:

Very interesting, is this the best era for collecting dinosaur fossils in your opinion or do price increases negate the increased selection available. 

Yes buy far.  The internet with online auction sites and online dealers have been a boom to this industry both here in the States and in countries like Morocco.  Diggers can make good money either selling direct or to online dealers.  This has also has led to the discovery of lots of new species.  

Hey I remember when you would be lucky to see a Trex tooth at the Tucson show.   Now they are "Common" but still priced high.   The downside is that most of the good fossils ranches have been tied up by commercial diggers making access for a collector very difficult.   I dont think price increases have had much of an impact on the industry.  Good material sells and its still hard to obtain.  Collectors have disposable $$$

Thanks for the pictures. Looks like this was the year to skip. Hopefully next year will make up for it!

44 minutes ago, HamptonsDoc said:

Thanks for the pictures. Looks like this was the year to skip. Hopefully next year will make up for it!

Yep good year to have a baby.   Next year should be more normal.

I saw a few things in these pics that I would buy, depending on price (which is probably too high across the board), but of course it would be more worthwhile to go there in a normal year.

• 2 weeks later...