Southern California - Mammal

BellamyBlake

I have here fossils from Southern California. There's no other info on them. It was an impulse buy, and they weren't a tonne of money. They looked canid to me, but I'm not sure what they are. If anyone knows, I'd appreciate the advice. Largest is around 1 1/2"

Thank you,

Bellamy

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

37 minutes ago, BellamyBlake said:

I have here fossils from Southern California.

Heya ! ... They look -fresh- to me. I can see some rodent teeth in there as well. Are you sure they are fossils ? 

Cheers,

Brett

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

Are they fossilized.  Enamel will fail a flame test but dentin has a higher protein content and may be testable.  Also some of the debris on the roots. Is that mud and dirt or is that organic. I am not sure that I see rodent teeth. I guess clear pictures of the tusks would be helpful.

2 hours ago, val horn said:

. I am not sure that I see rodent teeth.

If the scale is correct (with the largest tooth measuring 1.5 inches) then I'd say those little incisors are about right for a large rodent/rat etc ... I think I still see some yellowing on the teeth @BellamyBlake ? 

2.jpg.6686e72d49ed922cdb03edf40f66619b.thumb.jpg.11a75afb81e06323600b487429eeda42.jpg

2021-04-10_10-40-40.png.b994ebcf54d70f740c03e010c3b9b4c0.pngEgIFetzX0AAnBSR.thumb.jpg.4db9c4d9be63ea5054b52d1dd2383e62.jpg

In my youth I was one to collect bones from roadkill ( I know eww right ?) and glue the skulls back together. So racoon/possum/cat/dog etc .. These bones do not look like they are fossilized and the mud and dirt attached to them also tell me that they were possibly picked up and found ?  in an environment that is not one where fossils are lying about. I could be mistaken. 

Cheers,

Brett

• I found this Informative 2

4 hours ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

In my youth I was one to collect bones from roadkill

Only in your youth? I usually don't pickup road kill (too squished), but often keep dead things I find (frogs, snakes, lizards, mice, birds - provided they aren't too ripe). In fact, friends and family keep them for me too. I love to look at that kind of thing under the microscope. Did I just admit this? I use them to help identify things I might find in coprolites or micro matrix. :D  

• I found this Informative 1

Thank you everyone. I also started to believe that these were not fossilized as advertised. While I agree on the ID of smaller mammal, I got a refund given that these were likely modern. I appreciate the help! 

Yes, those are definitely some rodent incisors in there as well as numerous carnivore teeth. I agree they look very modern. Roadkill, oh heck yes, in my youth, in my adulthood, doesn’t everyone.!?!