what kind of tooth?

Rowboater

Not sure what this is?  I find a lot of what could be teeth, but this is relatively well preserved, much enamel and a striking cross banding (growth rings??)  It is hollow on the root end.  Unusual for me, but probably common in other areas, so hoping for a quick ID.

2021-04-10_2.jpg

Can you post a clearer photo please

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

It is a whale tooth,  the banding is deterministic.  Some of mine2020Sept4thWhaleMerge_Text.thumb.jpg.4cfe29db172e971dc04c5eb3b1a3338a.jpg2020Sept4thWhaleRoot.JPG.abf253e022a764480fc25f1d44c6aa08.JPGWhaleCropMergeText.thumb.jpg.41d4afa2c30b273303cf414221c47c21.jpg

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

• 2 months later...

Thought I would add another from this morning's hunt.  Probably a hundred yards from where I found the smaller (prettier) cetacean tooth.  This one is also banded, though not as distinctly, about 2 1/2" long, and hollow at the root end. 

Lots of usual sand tiger teeth, plus some vertebrae and drum "teeth", often found in fine gravel, along with angel shark teeth (two somewhere, probably still in the bucket).

Photo_2021-06-19.thumb.jpg.312cc16346e5981493cdd07549ab37aa.jpg

@Kiros @Shellseeker  Meant to add you to the post above:unsure:

Rowboater,

I have a single location where I can find both Sand Tigers and drumfish teeth. Do you have any ideas on the age of the formation where you find these. ..

Look for those bands... your tooth is whale!!!!

Here is one of mine with similar texture.

IMG_6362LgCrop.thumb.jpg.fc04979712cbd8952a267738087565d0.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

• 3 weeks later...

@Shellseeker  Unfortunately I am mostly digging in a freshwater creek bed where kids have hunted for at least 70+ years.  All I know is they are Miocene, don't know more than that.  Same for stuff I find on the beaches, although probably a wider mix of teeth.  I generally find sand tiger spikes everywhere in the creek, but drum teeth (and angel teeth) are usually mixed in with gravel.  Generally bigger stuff is near chesapectins (jefferson or middlesex-- my county name), with giant tree oysters and frilly oysters (no one collects the fossil shells, excepting ecphora or a weird one; they don't transport well).  One spot has more coral and more tiger shark teeth, but not sure that's meaningful.  

What formation are you finding drum and sand-tiger teeth?

1 hour ago, Rowboater said:

All I know is they are Miocene, don't know more than that. 

That is a lot to know. This is difficult task of matching the fauna you are finding to the age of the location you are hunting.

I asked the question because I have 2 locations ONLY where I find numerous Sand Tigers and a few drum fish teeth along with filefish verts and an oddly shaped tilly bone.

2019-04-061.thumb.jpg.9d2835a899ae95279c195307bf080984.jpg

2 hours ago, Rowboater said:

What formation are you finding drum and sand-tiger teeth?

Miocene (8-12 mya).  I say that because , along with the above fauna,  I have found some late Miocene land animal fossils.

• 5 weeks later...

@Shellseeker  Thanks!  Really interesting Tilly bone.  I find two main types, one almost spherical, when cracked it shows concentric rings of mineralization(?)  The other has a distinct shape with a sail like fin on top (some have enamel on them).  

I find a variety of verts, and some look like your file fish.  Need to get them in some photos so people can ID.

The creek bed I hunt has been hunted for at least 70 years (teeth were much more plentiful when I hunted with my niece and nephew 30 years ago).  But almost all the teeth are washed out and mixed in sand, shell bits and gravel, I rarely find one on an exposed surface of clay.

I expected to have more competition with Covid pushing people outside, but mostly that's only an issue on beaches.  Kids are playing computer games.

39 minutes ago, Rowboater said:

Thanks!  Really interesting Tilly bone.  I find two main types, one almost spherical, when cracked it shows concentric rings of mineralization(?)  The other has a distinct shape with a sail like fin on top (some have enamel on them).  

https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/131459#page/1/mode/1up

A pdf that discuss that specific tilly bone from Florida (pg 44)..

5bc2a3da6f162_HyperostosisinFloridaFossilFishes.jpg.cca924a57d0b782d5072b21142fd0d27.jpg5bc2a3d99150a_HyperostosesFlorida.jpg.ec0bbedf1a928a1811f0c1a7cf48b600.jpg5bc2a6dc5544f_TillybonesrightangleSarasota.jpg.39e5a4e7b63c15fc11b46fdcddc9d5f7.jpg