Crinoid(?) from the Cotswolds, UK.

IsaacTheFossilMan

I was just milling about, splitting Cotswold stone, when this caught my eye. In my swimming seas of gastropods, echinoids, crinoids, brachiopods, and bivalves, I've never come across anything like this! If anyone could shed some light, I would be much obliged. Early Oxfordian in ages, found in the Ancholme group. Around it were these fragmented plates of molluscs. It looks like a crushed stem of perhaps a crinoid?

If it requires better photos, I can crack out the old camera and take a few!

Cheers,

Isaac

IMG_20210411_190056681.thumb.jpg.3048062ee622cfd5689640aa9a0a309f.jpg

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

IMG_20210411_185928538~2.jpg

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

Wood? From what I know it's usually carbonized, but it might have just been preserved differently. Have you tried prepping it out further?

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

11 hours ago, Thecosmilia Trichitoma said:

Wood? From what I know it's usually carbonized, but it might have just been preserved differently. Have you tried prepping it out further?

It's definitely not wood, all the wood found in this rock, and with other ones, are carbonised driftwood, and this is calcium... Very confusing!

9 hours ago, Lone Hunter said:

Mineral vein?

It's not a mineral vein either, it's not within the rock, and it's a crushed 3d structure on the outside, like a stem of sorts...