Post Oak Creek ID Confirmation - Vole Molar

JamieLynn

Good morning! Found this little interesting tooth in my Post Oak Creek matrix. Did a bit of online research and have concluded (tentatively) that it is a vole molar, possibly Pleistocene? I don't think it's modern because of the coloration. I have seen that fossil rodent teeth have been found in POC matrix.  What do y'all think? 

Size 4mm

1528351617_toothb.thumb.jpg.88b107d9e867c6ecd78956518e314867.jpg

tooth.thumb.jpg.a9d236bb2e5c9e32603fb2827445c7fa.jpg

2014526812_toothc.thumb.jpg.4a37a731e9257974e2928a1f6c9619f5.jpg

1773484097_toothd.thumb.jpg.e1dc8049fdaf8a0f79018ee773a7f032.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

I concur. 

• I found this Informative 1

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

That is a fascinating little tooth.  It provided me the opportunity to use the section of Mammalian Osteology by B. miles Gilbert on Rodent Teeth Identification. My best guess is it an M1 from the mandible of a Long-tailed Vole (Microtus longicaudus). The current range of that vole does not extend into Texas but is not too far away from you in New Mexico. Certainly, in the past the range may have been larger especially when temps were cooler as most voles tend to be more northern creatures. I would not bet your life savings based on that ID, but the choices appear limited with as many loops and triangles as your tooth has. Nice find!!

• I found this Informative 3