Needing help with khouribga

Jurassicz1

I'm making a collection of fossils from khouribga morocco and im buying from multiple sellers. But the problem is they have different information. So like some say its from khouribga, Oulad abdoun basin, Oud zem, Gebirge. So lm not sure what location to write down. And then age some say cretaceous, Eocene, Paleocene are all these ages in the same locaiton/basin? And if so how do i know?

The Oulad Abdoun Basin is a large area see photo from Wiki where fossils can be found.  So it depends where the material was collected.  Khouribga is the go to location used by many.  The age of this basin is from late Cretaceous to Eocene so again it depends where the specimen  was found and what it is.  If Mosasaur it's Maastrichtian.  Sellers also call these the phosphate beds but there is no consistency among them in how to address locality since its a large area and locality information is very problematic.

I call it Ouled Abdoun basin if I do not have a specific locality.

Morocco_phosphate_basins.png.7d0f2a4b94eff2a2d0fd07f1b983ef3b.png

• I found this Informative 3

35 minutes ago, Troodon said:

The Oulad Abdoun Basin is a large area see photo from Wiki where fossils can be found.  So it depends where the material was collected.  Khouribga is the go to location used by many.  The age of this basin is from late Cretaceous to Eocene so again it depends where the specimen  was found and what it is.  If Mosasaur it's Maastrichtian.  Sellers also call these the phosphate beds but there is no consistency among them in how to address locality since its a large area and locality information is very problematic.

I call it Ouled Abdoun basin if I do not have a specific locality.

Morocco_phosphate_basins.png.7d0f2a4b94eff2a2d0fd07f1b983ef3b.png

Thanks for the answer! I will go with oulad abdoun basin. Is all the cretaceous there maastrichtian? And is there any good sites/pdfs that show different fossils and the age/species of them?

To the best of my knowledge its all Maastrichtian.   Earlier deposits are in the Kem Kem deposits.

Here is a big publication in French and some English that looks at Morocco.  Page 351 covers the phosphate beds.

Most others that I've seen the Abelisaurid that was described from there.  

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/331355207_Paleontologie_des_vertebres_du_Maroc_etat_des_connaissances

The wiki page covers the paleobiota cannot confirm accuracy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouled_Abdoun_Basin

• 2 weeks later...