bthemoose

Following up on the artificial tooth set I recently constructed for the Paleocene sand tiger shark Striatolamia striata, I decided to see if I could put one together for the Miocene snaggletooth, Hemipristis serra, using teeth I've collected along the Calvert Cliffs in Maryland. 

I haven't found a great resource for an H. serra dentition, but I consulted a few different sources to get a sense for the arrangement, including Fossilguy.comJ-elasmo (which has a dentition for the extant H. elongata), and various TFF threads.

The resulting tooth set is below. While I've found quite a few H. serra teeth, their abundance from the cliffs isn't anywhere near that of S. striata from the Potomac River, so this one was a bit more challenging to construct. In addition to several fairly worn teeth in my set, some that I've slotted into various jaw positions are likely a bit more fanciful than the last one. The best extreme posteriors I've collected are proportionally too large, so I also had to use less good substitutes for those positions. 

The largest teeth below are about 1.25" inches in length. Most of these were collected from Matoaka Beach over the last year, but I found a few of them from Brownie's Beach and Calvert Cliffs State Park.

The full tooth set:

IMG_0294.thumb.jpeg.10365b548e1a7a1730e8f8ac23ca366b.jpeg

Quadrants:

IMG_0298.thumb.jpeg.86f0c71359be176c474fc3122c9cabb6.jpeg

IMG_0297.thumb.jpeg.db90bc8faf7f941ce06b8a9a24c2af24.jpeg

IMG_0299.thumb.jpeg.76f8ae90e3994a4723fcb315d0566872.jpeg

IMG_0300.thumb.jpeg.4c456fa7a8c9dfb7f204d2a0b0ff09ba.jpeg

Finally, here are some better examples of extreme posterior teeth. Both of these are a tad over 0.7" long.

IMG_0306.thumb.jpeg.bfe036e876aa254ac0a3f22d9d6ab5a6.jpeg

• Enjoyed 6

Have a look on my upper teeth of my Hemipristis elongata jaw : the parasymphyseal teeth.

Hemipristis-elongatus.jpg.ccadc9724b8a72c03580748b3ad75e08.jpg

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

1 hour ago, Ludwigia said:

Very good! :Smiling:

31 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Very nice, congrats!   :thumbsu:

Thank you!

44 minutes ago, Coco said:

Have a look on my upper teeth of my Hemipristis elongata jaw : the parasymphyseal teeth.

Hemipristis-elongatus.jpg.ccadc9724b8a72c03580748b3ad75e08.jpg

Coco

Thanks, Coco! Yes, I am quite certain that I don't have the parasymphyseals correct. I believe I have two lower ones, but I haven't found any of the uppers yet, so I just used smaller, somewhat more compressed teeth in my dentition as placeholders for now.

Very cool!

Follow me on Instagram (@fossil_mike) to check out my personal collection of fossils collected and acquired over more than 15 years of fossil hunting!

It is better than some of the dentitions I have seen on the internet for H.Serra, Bretton Kent's book; Fossil Sharks of the Chesapeake Bay Region has a nice illustration of H. Elongatus dentition which might be helpful

1 hour ago, H.Serra said:

It is better than some of the dentitions I have seen on the internet for H.Serra, Bretton Kent's book; Fossil Sharks of the Chesapeake Bay Region has a nice illustration of H. Elongatus dentition which might be helpful

Thanks -- the Kent diagram is definitely helpful too.

• 2 years later...

I have a large amount of nice hemipristis serra teeth from one locality, including many positions like extreme posterior and symphyseal... I might do something similar to this at some point to help myself understand the jaw positions better and to create another possible reference for people to use.  Great post and very helpful!

• Thank You 1