Michigan Shark Teeth

Dropsy

30 years ago I was in 5th grade and used to hang out nearly every summer day at the back of our property in Van Buren County, field was nearly 60 acres. We would build forts and play in the creek that came off of the Paw Paw River. One day while we were in this deep depression in the ground that the creek went through we found a small black shark tooth. That summer we dug and dug and were able to find about 50 teeth. This week being Spring Break I told my small children maybe we should go look for shark teeth and told them what I did as a young lad. We went back to the old spot I remembered finding them but the deep depression had now caved in. We dug and sorted but didn’t find any more. 

I am not finding much about shark teeth in Michigan. I have read another post about Port Huron and the people saying they were planted because it was at some commercial gem mine for kids, I’m like oh maybe my parents did too, but after all these years and literally being in the middle of the forest way away from any road, house, etc. I am not buying this. They also told me that they didn’t even know where we dug at, only that we played at the creek. My parents were the type that said “go play as long as you don’t go near the river” we did what we wanted. 

so that brings me here. Anyone ever found legit shark teeth in Michigan or do I have to call my parents liars after 30 years?

I have attached a photo of what we found. 

D22B8CB0-ADC6-47F7-B1DF-A6648B091323.jpeg

I don't know. Michigan was high and dry from the Mesozoic and later, the ages for these types of teeth (except for the great lakes which are fresh water). These look like shark teeth that are found in coastal areas,Tx, La, Fla, the Carolinas and California.

I text my older sister who was there just now out of the blue (we don’t talk) and she said.

When we were a kid and we found all of those shark teeth we were digging.   Matter of fact Mom and Dad still have them and we dug them up all the time in that little cavern type thing back where the creek is at at the end of the field, only thing I remember was a bunch of rock near a natural spring. 

These teeth look like typical mioceneish teeth from the eastern coast

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

5 minutes ago, Top Trilo said:

These teeth look like typical mioceneish teeth from the eastern coast

So you think they couldn’t be found in Michigan?

9 minutes ago, Dropsy said:

So you think they couldn’t be found in Michigan?

Correct, the large bottom one appears to be an isurus (Mako) and large orange one looks to be megalodon or chubtensis, none of which lived anywhere near Michigan.

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

16 minutes ago, Top Trilo said:

Correct, the large bottom one appears to be an isurus (Mako) and large orange one looks to be megalodon or chubtensis, none of which lived anywhere near Michigan.

Further review shows the area where I live more of a Mississippian and Devonian period of sediment. I honestly do not believe 30 years ago someone would just randomly dump shark teeth in a random spot in the middle of literally nowhere (still no houses, or roads in this area only can get there by ATV.) and I would happen to find them. We have owned the property more than 100 years. I feel I’d have a better chance of winning the lottery.  Just so hard to believe. When I ask my parents they say no. Why would they lie? They told me about Santa but they will keep a secret for all this time about some shark teeth. Again hard to believe. 

Edited by Dropsy

I agree it is strange that you would find several shark teeth in the ground in Michigan on your property and I have no explanation for how that got there. The Mississippian and Devonian (typical age for the great lake region) definitely did not have these teeth. These teeth did not originate from Michigan, I guess it will remain a mystery, really interesting though.

3 minutes ago, Top Trilo said:

I agree it is strange that you would find several shark teeth in the ground in Michigan on your property and I have no explanation for how that got there. The Mississippian and Devonian (typical age for the great lake region) definitely did not have these teeth. These teeth did not originate from Michigan, I guess it will remain a mystery, really interesting though.

Yeah crazy for sure. Again I’d get it if it was in an area heavily traveled or able to get to by others etc. in the middle of no where overgrown creek . Mystery it remains

Thank you!

I'd be willing to bet someone's collection was dumped or stolen.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Are there any other fossil hunting spots near where you lived? Someone may have been doing a fossil hunting road trip and accidentally have lost some fossils from earlier in the trip.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

Additionally, many of the finds look water worn, meaning that they were likely found in a river, creek, or ocean. You said that you found them by digging, so they were originally from somewhere else.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

2 hours ago, Thecosmilia Trichitoma said:

Additionally, many of the finds look water worn, meaning that they were likely found in a river, creek, or ocean. You said that you found them by digging, so they were originally from somewhere else.

Well digging is subjective I guess. Me putting my hands into a creek into the sand/rock at the bottom. Not digging as like with a shovel. And no no fossil areas, literally middle of no where back of a 60 acres field no roads/houses, overgrown with trees/brush etc. just a creek in the back