Ecphora Species Help

historianmichael

I recently found this Ecphora in an exposure of the Late Pliocene Yorktown Formation, Rushmere Member in Virginia. I was really excited to find it. Sadly the final whorl is missing but I will take a 98% complete Ecphora any day. Ward lists Ecphora quadricostata as the only Ecphora from the Yorktown Formation. This may be Ecphora quadricostata but the ribs are not as prominent at the opening so I was not sure. I know that there are many Ecphora experts on here so before I put down the wrong identification I thought I might as well check with others. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2120868947_ScreenShot2021-04-12at9_05_48PM.thumb.png.c046530d44b69b0fda8e60f1a189b843.png

369808998_ScreenShot2021-04-12at9_05_54PM.thumb.png.8c50c7e34cdc48425cf18a22d71e6fc9.png

2059812394_ScreenShot2021-04-12at9_06_03PM.thumb.png.5a9cd542d00add1f2fdafab1a4afa72e.png

1803711493_ScreenShot2021-04-12at9_07_41PM.thumb.png.63e3b5a9a5631dd3977a1941a6032405.png

• Enjoyed 2

Follow me on Instagram (@fossil_mike) to check out my personal collection of fossils collected and acquired over more than 15 years of fossil hunting!

Wonderful find! 

• Thank You 1

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

It's Ecphora quadricostata which can be highly variable especially as it ages.  As the animal matured, ribbing became reduced unlike earlier E. gardnerae and E. meganae in which ribbing remained strong throughout their life.  Ward's Chesapeake Miocene publication is still the best reference for Ecphora.

Mike

• I found this Informative 1

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

44 minutes ago, MikeR said:

It's Ecphora quadricostata which can be highly variable especially as it ages.  As the animal matured, ribbing became reduced unlike earlier E. gardnerae and E. meganae in which ribbing remained strong throughout their life.  Ward's Chesapeake Miocene publication is still the best reference for Ecphora.

Mike

Awesome! Thank you so much Mike!

Follow me on Instagram (@fossil_mike) to check out my personal collection of fossils collected and acquired over more than 15 years of fossil hunting!

That is a very nice one! :wub:  I don't see that the final whorl is missing, though.  There is a small bit of damage at the very tip of the aperture, as is almost always the case.  If the last whorl was missing you would be able to see a scar where it was attached to the previous whorl.

Don

• I found this Informative 2