Paleo Bird beak fossil ?

Buteo

Info available,  rare paleo bird beak unidentified. Ouled Abdoun Basin, Phosphate Beds,Upper Paleocene, Thanetian stage, (~56 Million Years).

Any comments welcome, are there any bird experts also on forum ?

Inside the cavity there are also a lot of structures which perhaps eliminates a claw core . 

20210413_125403.jpg  20210413_130111.jpg

20210413_130035.jpg  20210413_125940.jpg

20210413_125822.jpg  20210413_125444.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Looks like the distal end of a claw.  Could be avian since its hollow.  Not familiar with the paleocene fauna of the Basin.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

Thanks Troodon,  Im hopeful Auspex will also comment as well as others. I was wondering would there have to be a nutrient groove to be a claw, and also the delicate structures (partial sinus ?) within cavity make me hopeful it could be a beak. My main interests in life are birds of prey (Red Tail Hawks) so if this was avian it would make my collection.

• Enjoyed 1

The blood groove is not present and I had the same concern but Im guessing its species specific.  

Not to be disrespectful, but does any one have a picture of an isolated bird beak fossil?  Please post it.    I was under the impression that like a horn the  outer sheath is keratin but unlike a horn the beak core was extremely light with a very minimal outer cortex and a lace of bone trabeculli internally

rsif20110910f01.jpg

• I Agree 1

Thanks for response. Interesting, are you leaning towards bird then. It is hard to find photos of fossil bird skull / beak to compare . Are there any photos of claws without nutrient grooves and hollow. I read the wonderchicken story from University of Cambridge regarding a complete bird skull fossil , I will see if can grab the photo

No I am not leaning toward bird.  The very thinness of the bone cortex in a bird beak makes your fossil appear too thick and solid for bird though my knowledge is very limited, thus the request for pictures 

I hope it is not bad form to post a photo that isnt mine, which it isnt. A great article. Not sure it helps anyone. Noticed the little dimples / pin in beak which mine has as well

asteriornis_skull588-2.jpg

Perhaps someone has a claw photo that is hollow , without the groove to compare to this. I think it is hard to eliminate a bird option unless there are claws that match the item in question. In any event the knowledge  doesnt reside with me and I am happy reading opinions 

Almost all of the pictures I post to illustrate a point are from the web or my friend dr google.

1 hour ago, Buteo said:

Okay good, If you have a chance read the article " wonderchicken" National Geographic. 

It's always best to give the proper source for an image.  ;)

@Buteo @val horn

• I Agree 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

This is the distal portion of an avian raptor claw. What there is of it is consistent with that of an eagle. Me likey!

• I found this Informative 4

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

1 hour ago, Auspex said:

This is the distal portion of an avian raptor claw. What there is of it is consistent with that of an eagle. Me likey!

Thank you, I was hoping you would chime in. That would be very satisfying to my interests. I noticed we have similiar interests with birds of prey. I posted a photo on a modern red tail hawk. These specimens in Canada require possession certificates which I have. Eagles would be off limits along with some other species(songbirds and woodpeckers I believe). Notice the size of modern talon, and eye sockets. Wind turbines , vehicle collisons take a toll. Up here a Snow Owl would be the ultimate beauty Imho

20210414_131200.jpg

Edited by Buteo

32 minutes ago, Buteo said:

Thank you, I was hoping you would chime in. That would be very satisfying to my interests. I noticed we have similiar interests with birds of prey.

I'm strictly 'catch-and-release'. ;^)

Golden Eagle Feet.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

6 hours ago, Auspex said:

I'm strictly 'catch-and-release'. ;^)

Golden Eagle Feet.jpg

YIKES!!!

The size of those talons with a human hand in there for scale makes me glad we're not on their list of preferred menu items. :oO::default_faint:

Cheers.

-Ken