Titan

I found this in-situ in the Ozan formation and I can't figure out what it might be. I thought the concentric circles might point to a highly worn gastropod. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

1.thumb.jpg.ea11102c9c90e8f6996eab50d47df65d.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.a8d047c30a50820b6be6db670d1c8aac.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.1454711c6bb87728bca745b39f464f1a.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

Shark coprolite (poo). 

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

2 minutes ago, Titan said:

@Fossildude19 Awesome, thank you Tim! Appreciate the help!

Mine is  a really crappy answer.  :P 

• Enjoyed 1

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

Hahaha thanks for dumping it! First shark coprolite I've found!  Little guy that jettisoned it might have been evading something bigger!

Very well-preserved specimen! Often they can be distorted or worn too much to verify the details but the spiral groove can only mean one thing, number 2! Even present-day sharks have something in their anatomy that produces that distinctive pattern.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

@BobWill Thank you sir! I didn't know what it was but I'm glad I put it on here because I was thinking it was just a really worn down gastropod. Once I get my prep lab set up (few more months hopefully!) I plan to give it a light dusting off and then check it under magnification to see if there are any identifiable inclusions in it. I'd like to know what its last meal was, especially since it's so small. The knowledge and willingness to share it on this forum make me smile almost every time I'm on here :dinosmile:

Edited by Titan

@GeschWhat

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Like @Fossildude19, I've been told that these are indeed shark coprolites. But @Al Dente's argument on these actually being chondrichthyan cololites seems quite convincing.

• I Agree 2

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

I couldn't remember the word Cololite for the life of me, so I went with coprolite.  :blush: :duh2::shrug:

• I found this Informative 2

6 hours ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

Like @Fossildude19, I've been told that these are indeed shark coprolites. But @Al Dente's argument on these actually being chondrichthyan cololites seems quite convincing.

If you read further on the linked thread, you will see some modern spiral shark droppings that convinced me that these can be true coprolites.

• I found this Informative 4

53 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

If you read further on the linked thread, you will see some modern spiral shark droppings that convinced me that these can be true coprolites.

You mean this post, right? Very interesting to see, and good to know based on actual evidence, that sharks (or at least certain species) do have spiral coprolites. :b_idea:

• Enjoyed 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

On 4/13/2021 at 5:01 PM, JohnJ said:

Cololite ;)  Nice find.  

12 hours ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

I agree coprolite or maybe a cololite. It could be from a shark or another fish with a spiral valve (ray, skate, lungfish, + others). Modern lungfish poop is encased in a mucous membrane when expelled. That is why they maintain their shape. Boris, a West African Lungfish was kind enough to send me a photo of his poop via his human @TNCollector

Lungfish-Pellet-Boris.jpg.cbb6b0bd2f58a8a9c9d88e771dda4c2a.jpg

Here is one from my collection that is very similar (also from the Ozan). The "folds" on the left side of this one hint of a cololite, but this may just incidental to compression during expulsion). It is hard to make them out in Boris' example above, but some folds can be seen.

DSC03934.thumb.JPG.dcbfb7591fc931dd70a7b848a5f78942.JPG

The only way to really determine whether you have a cololite is to find it inside the body cavity of an animal or find preserved bits of the valve. I do have an example of a couple of specimens from the UK that is suspect are cololites. Here is one example. 

Spiral-Coprolite-Lyme-Regis-Fish-Scale-Inclusions-Views.thumb.jpg.0027f1ef2f6dba71b7cbf54e532f43a7.jpgSpiral-Coprolite-Lyme-Regis-Possible-Spiral-Valve-Tissue.thumb.jpg.db17fa990d1689f7730545cabfa3332f.jpg

The last image is a microscopic view of a gap visible between fecal spirals in cross section. Notice what appears to be tissue from a spiral valve. This isn't something I see very often.

@GeschWhat Wow Lori, your specimen from the Ozan does look extremely similar! Thanks for sharing that along with the other photos and info. In your notes/ log would you label it as an indet. bromalite then?

Just now, Titan said:

@GeschWhat Wow Lori, your specimen from the Ozan does look extremely similar! Thanks for sharing that along with the other photos and info. In your notes/ log would you label it as an indet. bromalite then?

I list mine as a spiral fish coprolite or cololite. For me, bromalites is too vague. You have one or the other. You may find this helpful.

Bromalite-Small.thumb.jpg.1c397c01bbc12def4a5aeac97c34b03c.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

4 hours ago, GeschWhat said:

I list mine as a spiral fish coprolite or cololite. For me, bromalites is too vague. You have one or the other. You may find this helpful.

Bromalite-Small.thumb.jpg.1c397c01bbc12def4a5aeac97c34b03c.jpg

Nice illustration, Lori! And really informative too! :o

• Thank You 1

11 hours ago, caterpillar said:

What makes you think it is from a mosasaur? Generally, in the coprolite world, we do not assign coprolites to specific animals. There are a few exceptions, one of which is the spiral form. They are identified as fish coprolites because certain species of modern fish have spiral valves and produce similar pellets.  Coprolites are described by morphology and assigned an ichnotaxa. As with other trace fossils, we don't necessarily know what animal produced them unless they are directly associated with the fossil (body) of an animal. What you have there is an amphipolar spiral coprolite with fish scale inclusions. I know the stomach contents of mosasaurs and ichthyosaurs have been found, but have yet to see anything that indicates marine reptiles have spiral valves. That said, unless your specimen was found in the gut of a mosasaur, it is likely from a fish coprolite (shark, ray, skate, etc.). I know online I see a lot of spiral's from Morocco described as "Spinosaurid coprolites," but again, there is nothing in the fossil record or in the physiology of modern animals that indicates these are from anything other than fish. 

That is a beautiful specimen by the way. :)

These coprolites are found in association with a lot of mosasaur remains.

Here is a plate taken from a French publication concerning the deposit where you can see these coprolites

image.thumb.png.4d598f4b30b3dcad8e3cc8f54ce59fac.png