What species of Ammonita is it?

Benifossil2021

Hello everybody:

I recently got this nice specimen of Ammonita from Northern Morocco. I am not so sure about the identity, but my guess is that is Hildoceras sp. I wonder if anyone might be inclined to help me to get a proper identification. The person who got it, back in 1995, told me that the specimen is from the Jurassic, but he was not able to provide me a specific name. Perhaps Hildoceras laticosta?

Thank you in advance,

Best regards,

Benifossil2021

Hildoceras.jpg

Edited by Benifossil2021
just a wrong word.

That is definitely not a Hildoceras. Too bad you don't have more precise stratigraphic information. It's probably a member of the Perisphinctidae family, maybe Divisosphinctes.

• I found this Informative 2

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Hello, thank you so much for the comment. I really find it very interesting. Now I have a good start. Truth be told, I really had my doubts, especially because I read the Hildoceras were mostly from Europe, not Africa. I am still learning, so it takes time. As you said, unfortunately no more accurate data were given to me. In fact, the person who found it was really looking some other stuff, nothing fossil at all...

I will continue to seek info. 

Best regards,

Benifossil2021

Hey, I forgot, for what is worth, the person who found it told me the specimen comes from Taforait. I don´t know whether the area sounds a bell, but perhaps someone might have further info about the statigraphy of the area.

Benifossil2021