What are these odd shaped textured stones/fossils?

Lone Hunter

I am just stumped on these. All came from banks of canal at the bottom of a hill. These are all on the shallow level side of canal amongst sandstone, and they are everywhere. On other side of canal a little further down it's grey clay with big red concretions and fossils shown but these aren't present. These whatever they are aren't very heavy but hard like limestone. Only found one with inclusion, and broke one open and it's smooth. Included pictures of both.  They kinda stick to tongue. :headscratch:

IMG_20210330_041354946.jpg

IMG_20210413_210720378.jpg

IMG_20210413_211928921.jpg

IMG_20210330_040643520.jpg

IMG_20210413_210953187.jpg

IMG_20210413_211854724.jpg

IMG_20210413_213423267.jpg

IMG_20210413_212335366.jpg

IMG_20210413_213805454.jpg

IMG_20210413_212355472.jpg

IMG_20210413_213922086.jpg

8 hours ago, PaleoOrdo said:

Some of the stones have a bumby surface, perhaps strommatoporoids. Which formation is it?

That looks like Upper Cretaceous Britton Formation material. Nice ammonites and crabs!

• Thank You 1

All of them have a bumpy surface,  from Eagle Ford Kef. They look just like strommatoporoids on the outside but there is no layering on inside.  There appears to be something, maybe inside, causing the raised circular areas, and some of those have an indent in middle. 

Edited by Lone Hunter

Nice fossils, congrats !:thumbsu:

• Thank You 1

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

This is going to bug me until I know what they are, someone has the answer!  Could they be strommatoporoids as earlier suggested? 

2 hours ago, Lone Hunter said:

....  Could they be strommatoporoids as earlier suggested? 

I don't think they are found in the Eagle Ford Group.  

I think most of these are pieces of exfoliated septarian nodules.  Those nodules are present in that Group. 

You can read more about how similar examples are formed in one of the most interesting topics on TFF.

• I Agree 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

16 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

I don't think they are found in the Eagle Ford Group.  

I think most of these are pieces of exfoliated septarian nodules.  Those nodules are present in that Group. 

You can read more about how similar examples are formed in one of the most interesting topics on TFF.

I thought these looked familiar but couldn't place them!

Having a hard time grasping this, I don't even know how to explain it. I have read that post you referred to but didn't help me understand how they formed. When I think exfoliating I think peeling layers, and septarian makes me think cracks should go all the way through.  Is the inside part made up of the grey clay in the area?

Yes, this would be the interior parts of the septarian nodule after the exterior exfoliated and allowed the rest to 'come apart at the seams'.

The linked topic shows the variety of patterns that are possible.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Now I can see how!  So there had to be something specific in that certain area that made them all develope the same outer crust and bumpy patterns, like they all rolled around in same thing then came in contact with same thing.  Makes sense to me anyway.  Appreciate your time and ability to explain it to me!