Any ideas on this? Centralia Pennsylvania

Anna Marie

I have another one for Id. If there is one. Pareidolia? Lol Def looks like something to me but I have no idea! Can't find anything like it other than possibly a Trilobite? Also a Centipede Arthropleura? Maybe a stretch but it's the closest thing I can find to it.  I found it in Centralia Pa. and was not in the shale, was in the ground. It's about 2" long and the areas are raised and the pattern seems intentional if that makes sense. Thanks for any help! 

IMG_1280.jpg  IMG_1282.jpg

IMG_1283.jpg  IMG_1285.jpg

It's a stretch but as I said, closest thing I could find if it is something 

carboniferous-centipede250.jpg.c708e6b7477e5218859e9728f40a8925.jpg

This looks like an iron/limonite concretion, and not a fossil, for me. 

Geologic oddity, at least. 

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 5

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I agree with the others. :)

• Thank You 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I agree, but wonder about ironstone concretions some times. I know in my area, concretions like these are just that. I find them in Ordovician layers. While interesting, they don't usually appear to have any organic shape.  They are your typical dark ironstone with a softer yolk-like center. Sometimes they have squiggly or bulbous forms on the interior of the exterior "shell." I sometimes wonder if they are a result algae/slime. When I am in the Hell Creek Formation, there are large exposures of soft ironstone. Obviously, the exposures are not concretions, but do contain a lot of plant material - or should I say casts of plant material - things like metasequoia cones, tree bark, and sometimes even insect traces. I have also found thin bits of amber (drips?). I guess what I'm wondering is if examples such as this one could be casts of organic material. While not as defined as what I've seen in the Hell Creek Fm., this has some resemblance to casts of bark and insect activity that I have seen. Then there are the Mazon Creek concretions. Again, better preserved. I guess I would just like to get your thoughts on the origin of ironstone concretions such as this. Do you think it could have anything to do with preservation as a result of algae encapsulation?  :zzzzscratchchin:

• I found this Informative 1

13 hours ago, GeschWhat said:

I agree, but wonder about ironstone concretions some times. I know in my area, concretions like these are just that. I find them in Ordovician layers. While interesting, they don't usually appear to have any organic shape.  They are your typical dark ironstone with a softer yolk-like center. Sometimes they have squiggly or bulbous forms on the interior of the exterior "shell." I sometimes wonder if they are a result algae/slime. When I am in the Hell Creek Formation, there are large exposures of soft ironstone. Obviously, the exposures are not concretions, but do contain a lot of plant material - or should I say casts of plant material - things like metasequoia cones, tree bark, and sometimes even insect traces. I have also found thin bits of amber (drips?). I guess what I'm wondering is if examples such as this one could be casts of organic material. While not as defined as what I've seen in the Hell Creek Fm., this has some resemblance to casts of bark and insect activity that I have seen. Then there are the Mazon Creek concretions. Again, better preserved. I guess I would just like to get your thoughts on the origin of ironstone concretions such as this. Do you think it could have anything to do with preservation as a result of algae encapsulation?  :zzzzscratchchin:

Lori, thanks so much for all the info! You certainly have given me a lot of info to research. That being said, I'm pretty new to all the info involved with fossils but am now making it my job to educate myself. So unfortunately I can't contribute to anything you say or ask but I'm sure other on here have that knowledge to! 

You have a great website and FB page! Following 

As a long time central PA resident I'd be confident saying ironstone. I've seen limonite/hematite take some crazy shapes including hollow tubes, sponge like stalactites, and all kinds of weird shapes. Very cool to pick up!

• I Agree 1

“Beautiful is what we see. More beautiful is what we understand. Most beautiful is what we do not comprehend.” N. Steno

19 hours ago, GeschWhat said:

Well, if other iron compounds like pyrite, marcasite and limonite can replace fossils, I don't see why other iron compounds might not. In fact, the Wikipedia-page for ironstone states that it may be formed out of chemical replacement - which to me sounds a lot like permineralisation. And as with the pyrite ammonites I've found at Lyme Regis, so remain recognizable whereas others have completely lost their shapes. I therefore think that your hypothesis is entirely sound - it'll just be hard to prove...

• I Agree 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

On 4/15/2021 at 9:23 AM, Anna Marie said:

Lori, thanks so much for all the info! You certainly have given me a lot of info to research. That being said, I'm pretty new to all the info involved with fossils but am now making it my job to educate myself. So unfortunately I can't contribute to anything you say or ask but I'm sure other on here have that knowledge to! 

You have a great website and FB page! Following 

You, like me, may find that educating yourself on fossils is a never-ending process. When I do manage to find an answer, it seems to lead to at least five more questions. The forum is a wonderful place to learn, but the most brilliant members here don't have all the answers. I guess that is just the beauty of science. Thank you for the compliment, but don't expect too much on my FB page. I haven't posted in ages. See you around the forum!

• Thank You 1