Is this root real

TheDinosaurKing

The tooth is a composite, as you can see where matrix fills in the area between the "root" and the tip.

469337730_ScreenShot2021-04-14at12_07_17PM.thumb.png.03c2189b789ae9c13104a23d14093a19.png 

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

20 minutes ago, Troodon said:

The entire root is fake but like to see the crown if its a spinosaurus, all sides

No problem!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

As already mentioned,the tooth looks composited/fabricated. However, the distal part looks real,it's a fragment of the crown.

I don't know much about teeth,but spinosaurine teeth are pretty distintive:

1)Some morphotypes have very prominent carinae.

2)Always lack serrations,however,some small irregularities are present in the carinae of certain specimens.

3)Apicobasal ridges are well pronounced.

4)Mostly straight or with a subtle curvature.

The images are not much useful as they're of low resolution, nevertheless, some ridges are present and the carinae are well developed.

Would be useful to know if it's labiolingually compressed,if true, it could discard a spinosaurid.

Edited by MBL13
  • I Agree 1

11 hours ago, MBL13 said:

2)Always lack serrations,however,some small irregularities are present in the carinae of certain specimens.

Some erupting spinosaur teeth from Morocco actually do have true serrations, not just the small irregularities that you'd normally see.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Sadly I don't have good photos because the serrations are so small. They are only properly visible under a microscope. The serrations are located on the anterior carina. The carinae around the tip of the tooth are completely smooth without any serrations tho.

But yeah, it looks to be related to growth. It's an erupting dentary tooth probably position 8 or 9 just behind the anterior rosette.

• I found this Informative 1

Very interesting,seems there's a bit of variation within the usual condition.

Thanks for the correction, really appreciated.

Hendrickx calls this serrated feature as beaded.  Here is an example of an unerupted tooth in jaw with this feature.

480981655_SpinoJawSerr4.thumb.jpg.470c30bebd1f7a9bb987e67c63e3c7a7.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

32 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Hendrickx calls this serrated feature as beaded.  Here is an example of an unerupted tooth in jaw with this feature.

480981655_SpinoJawSerr4.thumb.jpg.470c30bebd1f7a9bb987e67c63e3c7a7.jpg

Yes, this feature is more common. But these are not true serrations. I was talking about actual true serrations tho.

10 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

Yes, this feature is more common. But these are not true serrations. I was talking about actual true serrations tho.

That's cool never seen that characteristic in a spinosaurid.   Well if you can ever take a photo would appreciate it.

2 hours ago, Troodon said:

That's cool never seen that characteristic in a spinosaurid.   Well if you can ever take a photo would appreciate it.

Okay so, I tried to make a photo of the erupting tooth. Here's the best I can do at the moment. I can't take photos with the microscope I use. I have an USB microscope somewhere but I'd have to search for it.

So this does look very similar to the photo you showed. But when looking at it from under the microscope I can see that there are actual gaps, making them true serrations. While in the photo you posted the edge of the carina is continuous and only the side seems to be sculptured in a way that kinda reminds of serrations.

You'll notice that most of the carina is fairly smooth and doesn't have serrations. It's only near the base where they are present.

P4150564.JPG

• I found this Informative 2
  • Thank You 1

Thanks, yes a bit more defined.   I wonder if this is a characteristic associated with unerupted teeth and disappears has the tooth becomes functional.  

It's hard to say. The jaw I have only has unerupted teeth. And this is the only tooth I can confirm real serrations on. Some of the others definitely have the sculptured carinae. But they are too deep in the jaw to get a proper good look at them. Some of the teeth do definitely show just the sculptured carinae tho, without any actual serrations.

41 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

Okay so, I tried to make a photo of the erupting tooth. Here's the best I can do at the moment. I can't take photos with the microscope I use. I have an USB microscope somewhere but I'd have to search for it.

So this does look very similar to the photo you showed. But when looking at it from under the microscope I can see that there are actual gaps, making them true serrations. While in the photo you posted the edge of the carina is continuous and only the side seems to be sculptured in a way that kinda reminds of serrations.

You'll notice that most of the carina is fairly smooth and doesn't have serrations. It's only near the base where they are present.

P4150564.JPG

Pretty interesting,thanks for sharing.