Delphinodon dividium and others; my work in the New Jersey Kirkwood (Paleocene-Miocene)

frankh8147

Hello everyone!

This trip report represents over a year and half of work (intermittent between my trips to the New Jersey Cretaceous) at a Kirkwood formation spot in New Jersey. I was happy to be invited by a few friends and had a great time digging outside of my normal streams!

As you can probably tell from the title, I'm really highlighting one particular specimen - the Delphinodon dividium tooth. From all the research we have done; it appears to be the first appearance of this from New Jersey and the Northernmost occurrence in the eastern USA. I did have this looked at by professionals, and agree with the identifications.

I also found a partial Squalodon tooth, a really nice and rare boxfish tooth, and a Galeocerdo Eaglesomi. I really like the Makos' too because they are both over 2 inches and are bigger than any I've ever found at Calvert (although I really haven't spent enough time there).

Anyway, here are my finds (in order of mention).     :)

20210414_123625~2.jpg

20210414_123629~2.jpg

20210414_122123~3.jpg

20210414_124058~2.jpg

20210414_124138~2.jpg

20210414_125126~2.jpg

20210414_162959~2.jpg

610457876_20210414_1505572.jpg

20210414_145432~3.jpg

Edited by frankh8147
  • I found this Informative 3
  • Enjoyed 8

Awesome finds Frank! Glad to see that you are still getting out and about!:thumbsu:

• Thank You 1

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

4 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Awesome finds Frank! Glad to see that you are still getting out and about!:thumbsu:

Ohhhh, I'm still heavily digging the Cretaceous! Should have a photo-dump coming up soon!  :)

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

Truly an impressive collection Frank. I feel quite privileged to have seen it in person a week and a half ago. I venture to say it's by far the best collection of Cenozoic fossils from New Jersey I've seen posted on the Forum. The Delphinodon tooth is certainly an important find. Congratulations and thanks for sharing all of this. By the way, probably most Forum members don't know that the Kirkwood is Miocene.  

• Enjoyed 1

• frankh8147 changed the title to Delphonidon dividium and others; my work in the New Jersey Kirkwood (Paleocene-Miocene)

Frank, 

Thanks for sharing this incredible collection!

Your hard work and persistence has paid off in spades, I would say! :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

6 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Frank, 

Thanks for sharing this incredible collection!

Your hard work and persistence has paid off in spades, I would say! :) 

Thanks Tim! For me, the effort I put in makes me like certain fossils better. I remember exactly where I found all my favorite fossils and it's always nice to have a story attached with the effort it took to come up with it!

What another incredible find to add to your already amazing collection! I count myself lucky to have been able to see it in-person. Are these teeth remaining in your collection or are they already earmarked for the New Jersey State Museum?

Follow me on Instagram (@fossil_mike) to check out my personal collection of fossils collected and acquired over more than 15 years of fossil hunting!

• frankh8147 changed the title to Delphinodon dividium and others; my work in the New Jersey Kirkwood (Paleocene-Miocene)
16 hours ago, historianmichael said:

What another incredible find to add to your already amazing collection! I count myself lucky to have been able to see it in-person. Are these teeth remaining in your collection or are they already earmarked for the New Jersey State Museum?

Thanks Michael! I think the truly important one would be the Delphinodon dividium as everything else has been found in New Jersey before. Obviously, everything is back-logged because the museums have been closed but the NJSM is aware I have this so we'll see what happens!

• Enjoyed 1

Those are insane finds! I love that Meg/Chub! The Delphinodon & Squalodon teeth are also amazing!

• Enjoyed 1

On 4/18/2021 at 8:53 PM, Familyroadtrip said:

Those are insane finds! I love that Meg/Chub! The Delphinodon & Squalodon teeth are also amazing!

Thank you! And yes, that one is a chub!

7 hours ago, frankh8147 said:

Thank you! And yes, that one is a chub!

No problem!

Nice!!

Nice Delphinodon! Are you the collector who's been working with Dana Ehret? Apologies if the answer is yes and I've forgotten.

Nice boxfish osteoderm!

• Enjoyed 1

Bravo Monsieur !

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

10 hours ago, Boesse said:

Nice Delphinodon! Are you the collector who's been working with Dana Ehret? Apologies if the answer is yes and I've forgotten.

Nice boxfish osteoderm!

Yes sir! I believe the initial identification of the Delphinodon dividium was by you (through Dana).  :)

Edited by frankh8147

21 hours ago, jonnyquest said:

Beautiful fossils. Congrats on the rare finds. Makes you wonder what else is out there.

A LOT!! That's what keeps me going :)

Wow Frank, what a great addition to the history of fossils for NJ. Squalodon and dolphin related material!?? in NJ??? WOW. Very sweet collection. Keep up the good work!

• Enjoyed 1

@FossilizedJelloThank you!!

Also, I forgot to show this one! I'm not a shark tooth guy but this one really excited me, its a Galeocerdo Eaglesomi - almost looks like a hemi! They very seldomly come up in New Jersey but this one, along with another were found in the same small area.

20210414_145911~2.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 2