musicnfossils

Went on a wild fossil hunting trip today out on private land in the Dinosaur Park fm. and found something that I’ve since reported to the Tyrrell. My best guess is a partial hadrosaur tail. The specimen is about 3 feet long by 1.5 feet wide. There was no other associated material nearby but there may be more of this dinosaur under the surface. 

I’ll also post a few of my favourite surface finds for today. I have a before and after photo of a vert, a large partial rib and some tyrannosaur teeth & a croc tooth. 

AB4CA3B8-784F-4F8E-8B0F-D6C582FB20E0.jpeg

E76E8FFD-4677-4C1D-B26E-41758A4C50A2.jpeg

3F846AA5-F575-4865-B8F1-C971975BE3F4.jpeg

9CF02850-05E2-46C5-9A8E-A594E10431B0.jpeg

AB7FE967-A3BD-4E2F-B411-3569D7EDA940.jpeg

2704F284-13DF-43E7-BADB-E9DFF5500BC7.jpeg

• Enjoyed 13

Museum got back to me quick, sounds like they won’t excavate it due to the rough shape of the fossil but we might have found something they haven’t seen yet at least. I wonder if this could count as a fossil find of the month entry :fingerscrossed: obviously I am not allowed to collect and prepare it though so that might exclude it from the rules. 

FD741FC1-9B53-4D2B-9402-B74E5908B368.jpeg

Edited by musicnfossils
Adding stuff

23 minutes ago, musicnfossils said:

I wonder if this could count as a fossil find of the month entry :fingerscrossed: 

Yes.

• I found this Informative 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

4 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Yes.

cool! Should I go out and take pictures with measurements? As these are the only two photos I have of it but it’s a 4 kilometre hike so if I don’t have to, I’ll submit it as is. 

1 minute ago, musicnfossils said:

cool! Should I go out and take pictures with measurements? As these are the only two photos I have of it but it’s a 4 kilometre hike so if I don’t have to, I’ll submit it as is. 

Either way is fine.  You found it this month, so it qualifies.  

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Thanks everyone. Yes as stated in the fossil finds of the month thread, I’m unable to excavate nor prepare the specimen due to the laws here in Alberta so it will stay in the ground as is. The museum is entering it into a database of known articulated dinosaur specimens in the area. Luckily the area we were hiking during this trip had many cool surface finds.