Vertebra and rock ?

Buteo

If someone could identify what type of  ( white weird shape rock) this is would be great, no info. 

The vertebra is from Montana according to memory, any idea species ? Sorry for lack of details

20210415_114838.jpg  20210415_114923.jpg

20210415_114956.jpg  20210415_114938.jpg

The white-coated specimen looks to be a classic flint (or chert) nodule.  You can see the conchoidal fracture on the broken surfaces.  These come in all sorts of shapes and often resemble something fossiliferous but that is coincidental.

• I Agree 4

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Vertebra and rock ?

the left hand piece is a  rock, a flint or some rock like it.  The second is bone and is a vertebrae.  More pictures, and location would be appreciated

Please see attached, Montana is all I have and Im only about 80% sure as that is what the seller specialized in. These were purchased a long time ago and when I moved the paper tags got lost. The paw in first photo is common house cat im sure

20210415_154207.jpg

20210415_154832.jpg

20210415_154804.jpg

20210415_154818.jpg

20210415_154139.jpg

Edited by Buteo
Cat id

Unfortunately I have not had the chance to handle many of these but I believe it to be a ceratopsian caudal vertebrae, if it's from Montana likely formations its from is Judith river, Two medicine or Hell creek formation.

@Troodon Might be a bit more versered in the preservation and perhaps lend a better identification.

• I found this Informative 1

4 hours ago, Haravex said:

Unfortunately I have not had the chance to handle many of these but I believe it to be a ceratopsian caudal vertebrae, if it's from Montana likely formations its from is Judith river, Two medicine or Hell creek formation.

@Troodon Might be a bit more versered in the preservation and perhaps lend a better identification.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge, I appreciate it

I believe the centrum is hadrosaurid.  The color/preservation is typical of what you see in the Hell Creek Formation but that does not guarantee its from there.  The other is geologic 

• I found this Informative 1