Does anyone know how to remove this matrix?

fossilhunter21

I bought these brachiopods last week, and would really like to remove this matrix. I also have more than two Brachiopods that need cleaned, I just thought I wouldn't need to take pictures of all of them. I would appreciate any help that you can give me, thanks in advance.

Screenshot_20210415-155215_Gallery.jpg

Pin vices, razor blades, drywall screws all work well as inexpensive utensils for cleaning brachiopods.

• I found this Informative 1

The fastest and best way that I have found would be to use an air abrasive unit if you have access to one. If not. you can also use an old toothbrush and water to give it a light scrub first. For me, that seems to be the most low impact way to physically remove matrix. After that, you can proceed to other hand tools.

These fossils sometimes respond well to acid prep. You can test a clean spot with vinegar and see if the shell itself reacts to the acid. If it doesn't, you're good to go. Then, soak in vinegar 5% acetic) with impunity. Just remember to soak for an equal time in clean water to neutralize the acid.

16 minutes ago, fossilhunter21 said:

how long should I soak it.

I posted this and then realized what you said.

@fossilhunter21, Ptychodus's suggestion of vinegar is good.  I still try and manually remove the majority of the matrix. Then only a short dip in acid is needed! This lessens the damage that acid can cause. 

Mike

Yeah thats what I am trying to do, but some of them are not easy to clean with tools

On 4/17/2021 at 5:35 PM, minnbuckeye said:

@fossilhunter21, Ptychodus's suggestion of vinegar is good.  I still try and manually remove the majority of the matrix. Then only a short dip in acid is needed! This lessens the damage that acid can cause. 

Mike

If you decide to try using acid, make sure that you soak in fresh water at least as long as it soaked in the acid.

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin