Mammal Jaw!!!!!!

OneLastSift

So guys basically my neighbor’s friend has big brook running through their backyard, and they found this recently. They are pretty young, and at first they told me they found a dinosaur jaw or bone or something. So I was real skeptical and expecting it to be a deer jaw. But they sent me a picture, and though not a dinosaur jaw, it’s not quite a deer jaw! It seems pretty big, has a few molars still intact, and has the shape of a bison jaw but I’m not sure. Please help me identify it! This is a picture of it in my neighbor’s friend’s hand so I don’t know the exact size but I will ask. 55E5D398-F24D-405E-BF84-D2F1475CB0A7.thumb.jpeg.930d108844f073197a4dc98f7a9fe139.jpeg

Edited by OneLastSift

Looks a lot like a horse jaw to me. Bet those kids were excited when they found something this big. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 2

33 minutes ago, digit said:

Looks a lot like a horse jaw to me. Bet those kids were excited when they found something this big. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

Ngl I’m kinda jealous I’ve been fossil hunting for a long time and never found something that big

Edited by OneLastSift

I lean toward horse, but that drop-down extension below the bottom line (I don't know what that is called) looks extreme.  Is that black line a shadow line?  If so, and if the jaw is dropping below that line, that's quite the drop.  I also assume that's a small person holding it.

Edited by HuckMucus
add assumption

Nice Horse jaw. Maybe they can go back and find more of the teeth.

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Yep, looks like a modern horse jaw.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

1 minute ago, The Jersey Devil said:

Yep, looks like a modern horse jaw.

So it’s not fossilized?

3 minutes ago, ColeFossilFinder said:

So it’s not fossilized?

Unfortunately not.

Edited by The Jersey Devil

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

14 minutes ago, The Jersey Devil said:

Unfortunately not.

So how old do you think it is and how do you know? 

5 hours ago, ColeFossilFinder said:

So how old do you think it is and how do you know? 

Less than 400 years. That’s about the time the Spanish reintroduced horse to North America.  Pleistocene aged horses died out here in the US at the end of the last ice age. 
I’ve got a few horse jaws myself. Along with about 5/6 of a horse. Also found in a river. 

• I found this Informative 2

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.