LabRatKing

2 hours ago, jpc said:

great report.  A bit of an adventure.  I am plannig a couple weeks out in early May.  I will be using my cold weather sleeping bag.  

Every trip should be an adventure. But no trip should be exciting...

7 hours ago, LabRatKing said:

Oh, in this case I was testing out new gear, however the low last night was far below any forecasts.

I had tried out my new Nemo the previous night and it was too warm, so I swapped to my trusty marmot.

anywhere touching the pad was cold. So, got the Nemo back out around 0200. By 0500, same result, and much colder. Doors were frozen shut on the rental (jeep not ready yet) due to the glaze of ice! 

the thermarest is getting returned and I’ll go back to using my klymit!

Take the weather forecast lows with a grain of salt. In Arizona the official US National Weather forecast lows (point forecasts) have been off by 10-15 degrees too low because they did not take in consideration the cold air drainage from the Mogollon Rim area in northern Arizona. I usually keep a pair of long underwear handy in the car in cold weather. If you can’t get into the car because of ice, that could be a problem.

Did you actually sew up your finger? I have heard that you can use cyanoacrylate glue in a pinch.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Ykes! These were some really unexpected issues (cold, severe cutting and to top it, icing/freezing of the car).

Well, you are really well equipped, first I thought, its a little bit of overkill, but it is not!

Just to highjack your thread a little bit: I was out one day each during the last three weekends for prospecting. Many farmers around, but quite steep terrain, fallen trees, slippery slopes and the likes. I think, I could get easily hurt and lost there, despite minor public roads just a few hundred meters away. Well, my only rescue equipment is a cell phone... Looks like a little bit careless.

Well, during the second day I think I made my most unexpected finds ever until now:

Sorry again for highjacking, I am just amazed by the completely different setting of both of our prospecting areas! But they are at least both Upper Cretaceous ;).

Franz Bernhard

Edited by FranzBernhard
  • Enjoyed 1

9 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Take the weather forecast lows with a grain of salt. In Arizona the official US National Weather forecast lows (point forecasts) have been off by 10-15 degrees too low because they did not take in consideration the cold air drainage from the Mogollon Rim area in northern Arizona. I usually keep a pair of long underwear handy in the car in cold weather. If you can’t get into the car because of ice, that could be a problem.

Did you actually sew up your finger? I have heard that you can use cyanoacrylate glue in a pinch.

Yeah, in this case it was a result of the terrain, being in a big stone bowl that faces north on a clear night with no wind.....brrrrrr

As for my finger, I started out with the purpose designed liquid sutures - Dermabond (2-octyl cyanoacrylate) as I was in no shape to suture. As of now, this has held and is not infected, so I wont bother with more traditional sutures. One can use regular methyl or ethyl cyanoacrylate glues in a pinch, but they do not work very well on wounds that bleed excessively or are in areas that the skin flexes a lot. I find duct tape or traditional sutures from the IFAK better.

• I found this Informative 1

8 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

Ykes! These were some really unexpected issues (Cold, severe cutting and to top it, icing/freezing of the car.

Well, you are really well equipped, First I thought, its a little bit of overkill, but it is not!

Just to hickjack your thread a little bit: I was out one day each during the last three weekends for prospecting. Many farmers around, but quite steep terrain, fallen trees, slippery slopes and the likes. I think, I can get easily hurt and lost there, despite a minor public roads just a few hundred meters away. Well, my only rescue equipment is a cell phone... Looks like a little bit careless.

Well, during the second day I think I made my most unexpected find ever until now:

Sorry again for highjacking, I am just amazed by the completely different setting of both of our prospecting areas! But they are at least both Upper Cretaceous ;).

Franz Bernhard

I am laughing pretty hard right now! I always over pack when car camping. No weight or gear limits, and even though this trip wasn't very remote, I like to stay in practice. This is because it seems like I always end up in a crazy situation. I learned the hard way many times in the past, so my rule is "Pack for three times the number of days."  If I'm going for three days, I take a weeks worth of supplies. This trip was even more excessive with gear and supplies as I was testing out new bits I added during the lockdown. I tried out three different packs, and a bunch of geology and biology tools in addition to hiking and rockhounding and bouldering. I also tested out some new rock climbing/canyoneering gear....all in getting ready for this July's epic desert trip.

Related information isn't hijacking in my book!

15 minutes ago, LabRatKing said:

Related information isn't hijacking in my book!

Thanks!

I am doing only day trips and sometimes I feel somewhat alone, despite all the "noise" around: Some cars, dogs, a shouting farmer and so on. But when you are lying hurt in one of those steep, narrow creeks and the next farmhouse is "still" 200 m away? Maybe no cell phone connection? At least I should take a whistle with me, to be able to give the "Alpine emergency signal", known to everyone here in Europe.

I am planning some longer hikes later in spring in more remote areas, a few km away from any public road and not on hiking trails, but on lonesome forest roads....

Franz Bernhard

Edited by FranzBernhard

On 4/17/2021 at 1:18 PM, Coco said:
What is this last mineral ? I can’t really see the shape of the crystals but they seem cubic, fluorite ?

Careful : they say where there are coyotes there is also Beep Beep ! :whistle: :heartylaugh:

Coco

I have determined that these particular crystals from the concretion are in fact calcite due to flouresence. A bit more research and found that the other ones are selenite. More on this in a bit.

1 minute ago, FranzBernhard said:

Thanks!

I am doing only day trips and sometimes I feel somewhat alone, despite all the "noise" around: Some cars, dogs, a shouting farmer and so on. But when you are lying hurt in one of those steep, narrow creeks and the next farmhouse is "still" 200 m away? Maybe no cell phone connection? At least I should take a whistle with me, to be able to give the "Alpine emergency signal", known to everyone here in Europe.

I am planning some longer hikes later in spring in more remote areas, a few km away from any public road and not on hiking trails, but on lonesome forest roads....

Franz Bernhard

I agree one hundred percent! The rancher's house was only a kilometer away and across a river prone to variations in depth hourly, but cell service was only one bar, and even that faded in and out with cloud cover and such. I have a "Whistles for Life" style tri-power signaling whistle in each of my various packs, in addition to two 12 hour chem lights. That brand/style of whistle has no moving parts and is identical to the ones we were issued in the US Navy. It is painfully loud, but works even when wet and or frozen! The chem lights are green- this is the international universal color used to indicate personnel (which is why this color is in lifeboats and such).

It is a very USA thing to do, but in seriously remote locations, I take along a light .22 long rifle. Three evenly spaced gunshots 30 minutes apart is a recognized distress signal. I also take along seriously expensive infrared and UV chemlights on those trips- makes you visible to SAR aircraft at night.

My wife jokes that I take emergency safety too seriously, but she doesn't quite grasp alone in the wilderness with a useless smartphone. :heartylaugh:

1 hour ago, LabRatKing said:

Three evenly spaced gunshots 30 minutes apart is a recognized distress signal.

You mean about 5 seconds apart?  (I may, or may not have used it 35+ years ago. :ninja:)

I assume you mean a group of three shots separated by about 30 minutes from the next group of shots.  ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Very good tips, thank you!

1 hour ago, LabRatKing said:

It is a very USA thing to do

Indeed! It would work also here, but rescue team would be a special police unit called COBRA...:DOH:

Different topic: Have you checked out that brown crystal balls with triangles? I suspect these are oxidized (limonite/hematite) pyrite crystals.

Franz Bernhard

21 hours ago, LabRatKing said:

Every trip should be an adventure. But no trip should be exciting...

I see the world exactly the opposite... Every trip should be exciting, but no trip should be an adventure.  An adventure is the result of poor planning, (or a mighty bad hand dealt by the powers that be).  

3 hours ago, jpc said:

I see the world exactly the opposite... Every trip should be exciting, but no trip should be an adventure.  An adventure is the result of poor planning, (or a mighty bad hand dealt by the powers that be).  

:heartylaugh:I think we have very different definitions of “excitement” and “adventure” 

5 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

Very good tips, thank you!

Indeed! It would work also here, but rescue team would be a special police unit called COBRA...:DOH:

Different topic: Have you checked out that brown crystal balls with triangles? I suspect these are oxidized (limonite/hematite) pyrite crystals.

Franz Bernhard

I have been working on those all day. I suspect they are exactly that. Currently I’m cleaning and prepping finds.

I do know this: I have specimens of selenite, limonite and calcite from the nodules in the blue hill shale.

The specimens we are discussing are from the fort hays, conspecific with the fossils.

So, logically I think we are right. What’s interesting is the only thing close I have on hand are from similar filled voids in the Wheeler shale.

6 hours ago, JohnJ said:

You mean about 5 seconds apart?  (I may, or may not have used it 35+ years ago. :ninja:)

I assume you mean a group of three shots separated by about 30 minutes from the next group of shots.  ;)

Yup! I may have had to use them around the same time period as a Boy Scout...lol

• Enjoyed 1