Turritella concretion - possible to ID locality?

farahad

Hello,

I purchased this specimen a few months ago at an estate sale.  No label, no information.  The fossil has been split lengthwise, polished, and the interior void space looks to have been filled with a sort of yellowish epoxy.   Each half measures approx. 4.75 cm long x 2.5 cm across.  Original depth before cutting looks to have been around 2.5 cm.  I believe it is a Turritella, in a distinctive layered, calcareous concretion.

I was able to find a photo of an almost identical specimen on a college professor's website, but I was unable to get additional information after following up: the specimen isn't in their collection and the professor who took the photo has since retired -- and supposedly liked to take photos of odd specimens at the Tucson Gem and Mineral Show [direct link to image]:

http://skywalker.cochise.edu/wellerr/fossil/gastropod/6fssl-gastropod-turritella2.jpg

I think I've seen similar specimens before, but can't recall where...  Does anyone know where this piece might be from?  I'm hoping the concretion is distinctive enough to be identifiable...

Thanks

Fj98QDO.jpeg

K9Fkqbl.jpeg

Thank you!!!  I spent a good few hours trying to track this down, can't imagine how you found that.  I know oncolites, but didn't realize they could form around things like this.