Petrified Wood with a bone?

Nreekay

Hey Folks,

My son and I found a bunch of petrified wood close to our house up here in Cochrane, Alberta. Could the piece next to the wood be bone?

E&B

9E9AD863-53C6-46A2-B50C-6AA64D5AFFB9.jpeg

Can't really tell anything. You may need to scrub it up first. I can't really tell if it is wood from the end view. Here is a little experiment your son might like. I'm not sure how bone fossilizes in your neck of the woods, but in many places I've hunted, bone will stick if you touch it to the tip of your tongue or touch it with wet fingers. Petrified wood and other rock will not. Another thing you can try is lightly tapping this with the tip of a butter knife. You can compare the sound to that of pieces that you are more certain of. Petrified wood will kind of have a ceramic/glass sound when you tap it.

• Enjoyed 1

16 minutes ago, GeschWhat said:

Can't really tell anything. You may need to scrub it up first. I can't really tell if it is wood from the end view. Here is a little experiment your son might like. I'm not sure how bone fossilizes in your neck of the woods, but in many places I've hunted, bone will stick if you touch it to the tip of your tongue or touch it with wet fingers. Petrified wood and other rock will not. Another thing you can try is lightly tapping this with the tip of a butter knife. You can compare the sound to that of pieces that you are more certain of. Petrified wood will kind of have a ceramic/glass sound when you tap it.

Thanks very much! We will do that today!

Hey GeschWhat,

I think it’s just petrified wood. When In scrubbed the end it just turned to a fine brownish powder. I’ve never seen anything like it.