Shark tooth from Austin Tx

chertalert

Hey everyone! First post here. 

Found this in Austin TX on the bank of Walnut Creek. Thanks for the help!

A85FD842-2431-4652-BF83-EB663ABA7562.jpeg

58DBA3B3-B48D-43AF-A6BD-AE83BB9D7E38.jpeg

8D2BD967-1238-4FFC-BD8C-3947C01F405C.jpeg

306BB899-51F4-4864-BCDC-A76A82497FAB.jpeg

Hmm. Not sure if that is a out of place find. It looks like a Mako tooth. (Carcharadon hastalis, maybe?)   @fossilsonwheels  @siteseer 

Not sure that type of tooth can be found there, normally. Maybe someone dropped it or seeded it for someone else to find? 

Great tooth colors, though. :) 

• I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I agree; this shark tooth is not native to the local geology.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Agree that is certainly does look native to the geology. Hastalis was my first thought. 

2 hours ago, chertalert said:

Hey everyone! First post here. 

Found this in Austin TX on the bank of Walnut Creek. Thanks for the help!

Welcome to the forum !

Yeah, did you personally find it ? .. or was that the description you were given. I agree, it looks like a tooth from Sharktooth Hill, CA.

Cheers,

Brett

4 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Colors look a bit like those from Sharktooth Hill, CA

That was my thought as well. 

Curses. Yeah I personally found it. We’ve had some heavy rains recently. 

F61FA091-24B3-44B1-8D58-2D3B334C95AF.jpeg

07C6E1E9-397D-4C69-B91C-859E0CCBEF3F.jpeg

Edited by chertalert

Austin area is Cretaceous.  There are miocene/pliocene deposits east not sure if they are marine or Terrestrial 

Screenshot_20210419-141659_Drive.thumb.jpg.7459d69cd0b1acfca5d4cb3351e1f8b2.jpg

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

Colors look a bit like those from Sharktooth Hill, CA

My thoughts exactly. Nice to see confirmation while scrolling down through the comments. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

51 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Austin area is Cretaceous.  There are miocene/pliocene deposits east not sure if they are marine or Terrestrial 

Walnut Creek is a well-know location to local Austin fossil hunters.  The creek runs through the Upper Cretaceous formations in eastern Travis County that include the Austin Chalk, the Taylor, and the Navarro Groups.  These formations do indeed give up shark teeth, but they are certainly Upper Cretaceous shark teeth. 

The Eocene exposures to the East ("downstream", i.e. "downhill" ) are indeed marine and are characterized by such well known formations as the Claiborne Formation and Stone City Formation which also give up their share of shark teeth.  (Think the famous Whiskey Bridge location near Bryan, Tx. and its associated shark teeth.) 

It would be very hard to imagine a natural process that would result in the transport of these Eocene fossils to Walnut Creek in Austin (unless of course you count human intervention as part of the definition of "natural process").  :zzzzscratchchin:  :shakehead:

• I found this Informative 1

3 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Hmm. Not sure if that is a out of place find. It looks like a Mako tooth. (Carcharadon hastalis, maybe?)   @fossilsonwheels  @siteseer 

Not sure that type of tooth can be found there, normally. Maybe someone dropped it or seeded it for someone else to find? 

Great tooth colors, though. :) 

C1558FF8-5507-4281-8E45-7FA9418B83AD.jpeg

4B8C3099-5CEE-45E1-87D1-C9C60B908F08.jpeg

33 minutes ago, Troodon said:

that tooth is not Eocene but Mio/Plio

Oops, my bad. 

The Texas Miocene and Pliocene are exposed even further east in Texas in a narrow strip that parallels the Texas Coast and in far west Texas in Big Bend country as well as on the Texas/New Mexico border.  The eastern exposures are terrestrial-only as far as I know.  The West Texas exposures include marine.  I doubt that you'd find any Miocene/Pliocene fossils "naturally" showing up in Walnut Creek.  So, I would conclude that either the tooth ID is incorrect, or the tooth was not naturally originally from the creek.  :headscratch:

41 minutes ago, austinswamp said:

Found in same watershed 

Now that one looks like a native tooth. It's from a large lamniform shark; I'm leaning towards Cretoxyrhina.

I would say the first tooth could be Carcharodon planus, the "hooked" mako / white shark, rather than C. hastalis. cf.:

c-planus-shark-teeth.jpeg.c1c00f88b1776db90258eb444a0ab4b7.jpeg

How a perfectly nice tooth like that ended up in that creek is quite curious.

• I found this Informative 2

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff