Agatized Gastropod from Morocco

Ramon

Hello, I have been going through some fossils that I bought a while back. 
I came across this agatized snail from Morocco. I’ve tried to find more information on these agatized snails, but have been unable to find much. Some sellers online say that they come from Assa, Morocco, while others say they come from the Dakhla region. I’m also wondering what species this little guy belongs to, and a more precise age for these gastropods, although I’m pretty sure they are Eocene.

Does anyone have any information regarding these agatized snails?

B94CCD1A-D5F9-4450-9946-E748398D60CD.thumb.jpeg.7782f328f69c82910d2d3399df6689ff.jpeg

Edited by Ramon

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

• Ramon changed the title to Agatized Gastropod from Morocco
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Gregory Kruse said:

@jpc Hi JPC,  Do you have any idea on this fossil?  I acquired on over the weekend and was curious.  Midat shows a region here: https://www.mindat.org/loc-266002.html.   Thanks!

I am going to claim complete innocene/ignorance.  That is a cool calcified snail and I can say I have never seen anything like this.  

• I found this Informative 1

I’ve now done a bit more research, and it seems like my particular gastropod, probably belongs to the species “Batillaria echinoides” and is probably Lutetian in age. And yes, these are found in the Dakhla region of Western Sahara, Morocco.

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

9 minutes ago, Ramon said:

I’ve now done a bit more research, and it seems like my particular gastropod, probably belongs to the species “Batillaria echinoides” and is probably Lutetian in age. And yes, these are found in the Dakhla region of Western Sahara, Morocco.

I don't know a lot about gastropods.   Can one can be confidently identified from an internal mold?

I bought a very similar gastropod of the same preservation at a Tucson show about 5 years ago.  The tag says "300km inland from Dhakla, W. Sahara, Morocco.  The one I have has a tiny gastropod sticking out of the aperture.

Hi Scott,

Back in the 90's, there was a collector who wandered around Tucson with a few of those (smaller matrix pieces) that he either collected in the 70's or got from a guy in the 70's.

Jess

@MikeR  Hi Mike, Can you comment on this fossil?  I think that it might be Cretaceous in age.  I will try to add a similar type of fossil from what i think is the same region.

Thanks all!  Thanks for all the responses...!

The agatized mollusks from Morocco have been on the market for several years, but as to their exact location within that country or as to age, I do not know.  I have seen Eocene and Cretaceous ages assigned to them and I occasionally search for references, but I have not yet found one.  I have a handful of species and the Potamididae look Eocene to me. 

Mike

Edited by MikeR

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

23 hours ago, piranha said:

Jurassic agatized gastropods from the Rice Museum Collection in Hillsboro, Oregon.

image.thumb.png.73a470b780de93b69b9bfba831629a96.png

Nice specimen.  Embarrassing label.

Don

• Enjoyed 1

2 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

Nice specimen.  Embarrassing label.

Don

Phonics Phale mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmail.yimg.com%2Fok%2Fu%2Fassets%2Fimg%2Femoticons%2Femo76.gif&t=1621966248&ymreqid=23281213-8dc1-3cff-1c0b-e20054015800&sig=bh5DMaZwSQiL.mSQ2hPf0g--~D

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

3 hours ago, piranha said:

Phonics Phale mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmail.yimg.com%2Fok%2Fu%2Fassets%2Fimg%2Femoticons%2Femo76.gif&t=1621966248&ymreqid=23281213-8dc1-3cff-1c0b-e20054015800&sig=bh5DMaZwSQiL.mSQ2hPf0g--~D

:P :D :D :P

BTW you have the most amazing collection of gifs!

Don