Douglas Point (Nanjemoy, MD) is as much fun as everyone says it is.

0sprey

Took my first trip to Douglas Point with a couple of (equally amateur) friends, and while I didn't find anything rare or unusual it was a beautiful day and we had a great time. There was a family there with 3 little kids who had no idea it was a fossil site, the parents asked what we were all bent over looking for so I (safely, at a distance) gave the kids each a tooth and explained to them what to look for. The kids absolutely lost their minds, they were finding their own teeth in minutes. Half an hour later when the parents told them to pack up to leave the kids got very upset and insisted that they had to stay and find more shark teeth. I think I created several monsters haha.

I found nearly 200 shark teeth in all, if you include the junky little fragments, plus some ray plate fragments, some gastropod molds, and a crocodile tooth. Here's a photo of some of the better-looking shark teeth.

PXL_20210411_001651921_2.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

2 hours ago, Bronzviking said:

WOW that's quite a nice haul, Congrats! Where is Douglas Point?

Thank you! Douglas Point is part of the Nanjemoy Wildlife Management Area in southern Maryland, the beaches there are absolutely lousy with shark teeth. Calvert Cliffs is the more famous MD fossil hunting spot (and the beaches at Calvert Cliffs are a little nicer for recreation, if you have non-fossil-hunting companions) but the beaches at the Nanjemoy WMA are much more dense with fossils. It's kind of in the middle of nowhere but it's free to visit and you're allowed to take home anything you find!

Between the 4 of us we found somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 items total, if you count the ones that were broken or eroded badly.

1 hour ago, bthemoose said:

Nice teeth. And finding a croc tooth there is always a success in my book!

Thanks, yeah it's not in very good shape, unfortunately, it's split down the middle, but I only have one other one so it was still pretty neat.