Guadalupe Mountains National Park

gdsfossil

I found this a few years back near (but not in) Guadalupe Mts National Park.  Is it a sponge, coral, algae, or something else?  Piece is about 6 inches across.  Thank you for your help.  1253171501_newmexicowesttexasspongeIMG_1182.thumb.png.ab37a67f1c585368f74d4cf8e93010d6.png

Additional images might help.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Thank you.  

It's one piece.  That's all I have.  6 inches across.  An inch thick.  Fossil portion 1-2 cm deep.

:)  I was hoping you had additional images of this piece...maybe close-up views?

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

No evidence of it being a coral.  To tell the truth I don't see anything diagnostic of a sponge or algae either, but those might require acid etching or thin sections.  @DPS Ammonite knows about upper Paleozoic sponges from Arizona and he might be able to offer an opinion.

Don

Looks sort of like caliche to me, but I suppose it could be a lot if things. I don’t really see a fossil though. 

• I Agree 1

I do not see anything spongy yet. Near microscopic pictures of spicules would sway me towards a sponge.

See this paper regarding Texas Permian fossils by Finks:

Finks, R. M. 1960. Late Paleozoic sponge faunas of the Texas region: the siliceous sponges. Bulletin of the AMNH; v. 120, article 1.

https://digitallibrary.amnh.org/handle/2246/1220

• I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Thank you.  Are you saying if not sponge than something like cave cecretions?  Found in open air.  Will look closely.  The tips are a little worn. I assumed it was reef related.  Found near some gastropods, possibly small nautiloid.

22 hours ago, ClearLake said:

Looks sort of like caliche to me, but I suppose it could be a lot if things. I don’t really see a fossil though. 

Good call. I concur

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana