A few more shark teeth

Ludwigia

The weather was great today, so I hopped on the bike and headed off to check out a new museum in the area which was supposed to have opened up on April 1st, but I guess it must have been an April Fool's joke because it was closed. Well, actually we got locked down on Monday, so they weren't allowed to open the doors. I was just hoping, and anyway it was a nice day for a ride. It's a small branch of the well-known and much larger Hauff Museum in Holzmaden, so one of these days soon (hopefully), I'll drop in again to have a look around and talk shop with the proprietors.

After I'd studied the closed doors and walked around the quaint old building a couple of times, I suddenely remembered that there was a shark tooth site not too far away which I hadn't visited for a dog's age, mainly because it wasn't nearly as productive as my site back near home. But, what the heck. Nothin' better to do and plenty of time on my hands. It wasn't as bad as I had expected, although the exposure has no obvious horizons, so you just have to scratch away hoping for good luck. Here's what I ended up with after a couple of hours. First, a mix of Carcharias, Mitsukurina and Carcharhinus.

1.jpg.0bfebec72857322265711b20e97f90ce.jpg

But the best one was this 2cm. Carcharias on matrix.

P293a.jpg.ab1d1113f9844dd17d83036250e31d2e.jpg

Maybe I'll go back there again sometime.

• Enjoyed 3

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Nice teeth! Have you tried washing down the matrix to look for micro teeth? That might be interesting :) 

By coincidence i was reading about 3 quarry’s ( i think) where teeth can be found just up north where you live. Where you by any chance in one of these ?

Shame most of them miss most of the root....

4 hours ago, will stevenson said:

Nice teeth! Have you tried washing down the matrix to look for micro teeth? That might be interesting :) 

I suppose that I could, but I'm not all that much interested in the small stuff.

1 hour ago, Everhardus said:

By coincidence i was reading about 3 quarry’s ( i think) where teeth can be found just up north where you live. Where you by any chance in one of these ?

Shame most of them miss most of the root....

Yes, I'm pretty sure I know what you're talking about and I have visited them in the past. They are old sites, like Ursendorf, which are either no longer yielding teeth or else abandoned.

• Enjoyed 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/