Rowboater

Went at low tide to a small public beach on the Rappahannock.  A few people laying on the sand soaking in the nice weather.  One guy raking the sand, looking for shark teeth, fossils or maybe beach glass.  I walked along in the water looking for teeth with faint hope, but was lucky!  Although mostly just long rusted and tide- and sand- burnished metal bits, I did find some teeth including two NICE cowshark teeth (perfect compared to the broken rootless ones I'm lucky to find usually).  Also found an interesting skate scute (small enameled spot in the center), a reddish sand tiger spike, a thresher shark tooth(?) plus another gray, requiem shark tooth and what looks like a flattened conical tooth. Lots of small fossil bone ("whale bone") but nothing obvious to ID.  Very happy with the cow shark teeth, and a nice return on an hour walking a public beach!

2021-04-21_1.thumb.jpg.7663460c0f5a97297a3fd416da256b79.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 2

The flat stingray teeth are prob mylobitus sp. the long tooth is off a sand tiger, the cow shark teeth probably belong to either hexanchus, or Notorhynchus. The requiem are probably dusky shark or bull shark.

(Edit) Conical tooth is probably a dolphin or a crocodile

Edited by Crankyjob21

That ray denticle, cow shark tooth, and barracuda tooth are awesome!  :) 

Way to go!

I'm  going to have to start calling you Hawk-eye.  ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

@HemiHunter @Clint08 @Gizmo @Crankyjob21  Thanks everyone.  Still not comfortable IDing a lot of what I find, but beach hunting is easier and the teeth generally in good shape, particularly cowshark compared to other places.   Much didn't scan well. Often find a few of these flattened, brown enamel pieces.

I found an odd-- to me-- brown flat piece with shrimp coprolites (?) (the paler one is just an old 'burrow' I grabbed for comparison. Wonder if the same stuff?)@GeschWhat @Carl

@Fossildude19  "I'm  going to have to start calling you Hawk-eye."  That's laughable Tim!  Probably speaks to the spots I hunt, since I'm almost blind and shocked whenever something I pick up is actually interesting.  I like the "new beach", although there are always locals there, walking dogs, sunbathing, and some looking, with sharper eyes.  "My" old beach lost a lot of sand this winter, and seems to have attracted lots more people (probably watching me!) My last five trips yielded only five small teeth.  The "new" beach has me excited; four trips, four (and a half) cowshark teeth (my favorite, although I miss the big makos, but didn't find any(?) on the old beach this past winter.)  There's more beach, less wood and less beach glass (due to more kids?) but lots of rough teeth, bone and tilley bone at the "new beach".  Here's most of what I collected at the "new" beach:

2021-04-28_.thumb.jpg.88b229091f04929b3eac016965f0342d.jpg2021-04-28_2.thumb.jpg.282e5f7eb8b0bfa69b92405c5b1343eb.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

Love the cow shark teeth. Not something I’ve found before, but love seeing pictures of the ones others feel.

Taking my second trip to Peace River a week from from Friday, this time with my young bride, that I married 37 years ago. Then off to Venice for a beach front stay for two nights. Hoping to have at least one nice picture to post from the trip.

6 hours ago, Rowboater said:

I found an odd-- to me-- brown flat piece with shrimp coprolites (?) (the paler one is just an old 'burrow' I grabbed for comparison. Wonder if the same stuff?)@GeschWhat @Carl

Are any of the pellet ends visible? If the canals match the others it is from the same critters with different preservation. 

• 2 weeks later...