Is this what I think it is?

Chrisaurus

So I found this piece while fossil hunting in the Peace River here in Florida. It immediately gave me the impression of a certain something, so I set aside. It just seemed out of place for where I found it, (for it to be a rock). I have an idea of what it may possibly be, but want to see what others have to say first.

IMG_0740.jpg

IMG_0741.jpg

IMG_0742.jpg

IMG_0743.jpg

IMG_0744.jpg

IMG_0745.jpg

IMG_0746.jpg

IMG_0747.jpg

I do not believe this is a fossil and it does not look like fossils that come out of the Peace river. Looks like a rock to me

• I found this Informative 1

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Has an igneous look. Perhaps it's relatively less dense, and that combined with the shape allowed it to be transported further from it's point of origin. 

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

Interesting---I would have kept it also to look at closer. Dont think its a fossil but intriguing. 

It does have a strangely igneous look to it with the general shape/texture but I think its more likely a dirty, fairly fine grained sandstone. We dont have much volcanic stuff down here unless brought in on a truck from outside the state for landscaping purposes.  I think its showing some black flecks of phosphate/polished bone fragments in there. I wonder if it fizzes? with vinegar or HCL which might suggest a calcareous cement. I was also pondering if it might be some burrow material with its shape and odd voids/inclusions but I'm thinking its more likely just some fun groundwater cementation and dissolution/weathering of a sandy matrix. Interesting nonetheless!

Regards, Chris    

• I found this Informative 2
  • Thank You 1

I think I know what you think this is, but I don't think it is. :D If you are thinking coprolite (aka fossil poop), I'm sorry to disappoint you. While it has the shape and color, it doesn't have the texture. Your rock looks too gritty. Coprolites have a very smoooooooooooooth texture (usually). So unless yours is just surface grit, I'm with the others. 

• I found this Informative 3
  • Thank You 1