First time at Saltwick Bay

Calli99

Me and my boyfriend made the drive to Whitby yesterday for the first time. We spent about 3 hours fossil hunting at Saltwick Bay. We made some nice finds but we only found one of the really nice Whitby ammonites at the end of the trip which is the main reason I wanted to go to Whitby. There were plenty of ammonite fragments about but we struggled to find the famed ammonite bearing nodules (though we did pick up a few small and low quality ones, will need prep and not worth posting here). We did pick up a couple of shale plates with some nice bivalves and flattened ammonites.

I did however find a sizeable chunk of bone (which I’m presuming is Icthyosaur - input welcome) which I am chuffed to bits with.

In terms of prep/preservation I’ll be soaking them all for a couple of days to draw the salt out but I’m a bit nervous about the shale plates. I’ve heard of people applying paraloid but I have never used it and we don’t have much ventilation in our small flat so if any anyone has any advice I will gladly listen!

IMG_5584.thumb.jpeg.f106f36427538da1207ebb201e650253.jpeg

AAE4D240-2CB6-4356-98BD-58480140CC4F_1_105_c.jpeg

IMG_5589.jpeg

IMG_0597.jpeg

IMG_5598.jpeg

IMG_5599.jpeg

IMG_0589.jpeg

IMG_0590.jpeg

IMG_0602.jpeg

IMG_0611.jpeg

IMG_0620.jpeg

IMG_0607.jpegNo clue what this is

IMG_5607.jpegin the town of Whitby

Edited by Calli99
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 6

Nice report and finds! :)

Thanks for posting. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

You did well for a first time visit! That ammonite nodule is a beauty. 

I am a bit unsure about the bone (whether it is Jurassic or not), it is quite porous and could be more recent, although more images would help determine this. Does it feel relatively light for its size, or heavy like a stone? 

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

1 hour ago, Fossildude19 said:

Nice report and finds! :)

Thanks for posting. 

Thanks!

26 minutes ago, Paleoworld-101 said:

You did well for a first time visit! That ammonite nodule is a beauty. 

I am a bit unsure about the bone (whether it is Jurassic or not), it is quite porous and could be more recent, although more images would help determine this. Does it feel relatively light for its size, or heavy like a stone? 

Thank you!

Interesting about the bone. I’ve got it soaking now so couldn’t attest to it’s weightiness. It does appear to have a cap of stone on one end. Here are some more photos before soaking.

IMG_0598.jpeg

IMG_0600.jpeg

IMG_0599.jpeg

Hi.....The thing you didn't have a clue with looks like a phragmocone .

John

Be happy while you're living for you're a long time dead.

Great haul!! Lovely ammonites :D Saltwick Bay looks like a pretty nice place to hunt!

About the thing you couldn't ID, I have a feeling it might be from an isopod, a type of crustacean..

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

I agree with John, probably a Belemnite.

Working with Paraloid ain’t so bad, i would try it !

16 hours ago, t-tree said:

Hi.....The thing you didn't have a clue with looks like a phragmocone .

John

11 hours ago, Everhardus said:

I agree with John, probably a Belemnite.

Working with Paraloid ain’t so bad, i would try it !

I suppose it could be a bit of flattened phragmocone. It’s a bit impossible to tell by the photograph as it looks the opposite, but it’s the smaller bands that are raised in between the wider strips. Will order some paraloid today!

13 hours ago, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

Great haul!! Lovely ammonites :D Saltwick Bay looks like a pretty nice place to hunt!

About the thing you couldn't ID, I have a feeling it might be from an isopod, a type of crustacean..

Thank you! It was great fun, will definitely be going back!

I hadn’t thought of that though I can see what you mean. I’m not aware of any isopod fossils like this being found in the area though?

3 hours ago, Calli99 said:

Thank you! It was great fun, will definitely be going back!

I hadn’t thought of that though I can see what you mean. I’m not aware of any isopod fossils like this being found in the area though?

Worth looking into :) If it's the first record of isopods from the Saltwick Bay deposits, that could be significant... I guess the phragmocone interpretation could also be true. In any case, it definitely deserves close examination! Perhaps bring it over to the NHM in London (or other museum), and show it to some invertebrate paleontologists?

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Hi .......This is a large phragmocone i found at Saltwick bay for comparison .

271515213_SAM_2059(2).thumb.JPG.c50caac2bbdf6c804c524d50f8cc2903.JPG

John

Be happy while you're living for you're a long time dead.

4 hours ago, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

Worth looking into :) If it's the first record of isopods from the Saltwick Bay deposits, that could be significant... I guess the phragmocone interpretation could also be true. In any case, it definitely deserves close examination! Perhaps bring it over to the NHM in London (or other museum), and show it to some invertebrate paleontologists?

Good idea, I’ve got a friend at the museum who I’m sure will take one look and be able to give it a name!

3 hours ago, t-tree said:

Hi .......This is a large phragmocone i found at Saltwick bay for comparison .

271515213_SAM_2059(2).thumb.JPG.c50caac2bbdf6c804c524d50f8cc2903.JPG

John

Thanks for posting this, I think you’ve just about convinced me