charlie3425

Could this be a Gavialosuchus americanus vertebra? It measures 5cm, found in Wyoming...

image001.png

image002.png

image003.png

image004.png

image005.png

'It was life, Jim. But not as we know it.'

Do you have any better provenance than just WY.   Age, formation, town,, county...Looks like a Croc.

• I Agree 1

It is certainly a crocodilian vert.  But these generally cannot be IDed to genus. 

Gavialosuchus is known from the gulf states, not Wyoming.  By the time of Gavialosuchus, there were no more crocs here in WY. 

You can guess the genus by knowing the age, but I think that is s good as you can get with this one

Crocodilian indet.  

It is not a tail or neck orsacral vert, so you can call it a thoracic.  

Edited by jpc
  • I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

Do you have any better provenance than just WY.   Age, formation, town,, county...Looks like a Croc.

Not yet, I've asked the seller... Update; he doesn't know. So I'm gonna let it go. It's on online if anyone is interested. Shipping costs included it is too expensive for me for what it is.

Edited by charlie3425

17 minutes ago, jpc said:

It is certainly a crocodilian vert.  But these generally cannot be IDed to genus. 

Gavialosuchus is known from the gulf states, not Wyoming.  By the time of Gavialosuchus, there were no more crocs here in WY. 

You can guess the genus by knowing the age, but I think that is s good as you can get with this one

Crocodilian indet.  

It is not a tail or neck orsacral vert, so you can call it a thoracic.  

Thank you for the information. So this next one might be a Gavialosuchus (see pic), it's from Orange County, Florida (Miocene)? It's bigger, 7cm long.

IMG_7708.JPG

IMG_7709.JPG

IMG_7710.JPG

Edited by charlie3425

There are multiple crocodylia in florida including Alligator mississippiensis so not sure you will get a closer ID.   Lets see what others say that are more familiar with this locality

@Harry Pristis

• Enjoyed 1

I am with troodon... again croc verts are difficult if not impossible to ID to genus.  But if others can do it, all the more power to them.  

I thought the croc' centrum was from Wyoming.  If I found this specimen in Florida, I would think "Alligator," then I'd leave it where it was found.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest