Possible fossil primate

Robson

Hi everyone. This is my very first post here. I'm glad the opportunity to discuss a question.

I have found a skull that I think is a primate, but first of all I would like to know if it is a fossil or a modern bone skull, but it is a natural material, for sure.

It was found at a dense forest near home and it was on ground mixed with leaves and soil material. Obviously I had looked for the mandible even though I was not able to do that.

I appreciate any kind of help. So, is it a fossil? What kind of animal specimen would it be?

Thanks

Up view

20210421_174139~2.jpg

20210421_174058~2.jpg

20210421_174110~2.jpg

It looks modern to my eye, but you can always perform the burn test: apply a flame to a small portion of the bone (not the teeth). If it smells of burnt hair, that suggests the presence of collagen, which would likely place it as modern as opposed to fossil.

• I found this Informative 3
  • I Agree 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I agree, this looks like a modern skull. 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

13 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Check this out

Screenshot_20210421-141948_Chrome.jpg.bb643f25cf56c4e470877c23e74b4f68.jpg

A quick search lead me to think it is an Alaouta caraya, known as Bugio in Brazil. But im in doubt.

The upper/canine teeth seem to compare better in the Black Spider Monkey than the one you mentioned but I'm far from a primate expert.  But to answer your initial question it looks like a primate skull and like others have said most likely modern.   Experts on primates can discuss which one it is.

• I Agree 1

without seeing it in person, I would bet all my money on it being modern.  Found in leaf litter. No rock attached to it. Perfectly preseved.  Modern coloring, especially the shiny white teeth.  There is no reason to believe this is a fossil.  

Yeah guys you all are right regarding the piece is a fossil or not cause it is a modern skull bone. The flame test sad me clearly. But the specimen of the primate remains in doubt even though tje friend Trodon had given a bet. Any guess else?

Edited by Robson
Typing correction.

Welcome to the forum.  That is indeed a very nice skull and as you have been told and discovered, it certainly does appear to be recent. As far as an ID, there are over 135 species of primates from Brazil, but your suggestion of Alouatta caraya looks reasonable.  See the picture below taken from: https://animaldiversity.org/accounts/Alouatta/specimens/collections/contributors/phil_myers/ADW_mammals/specimens/Primates/Alouatta_caraya/ventral2479/

You can see that there are many features that match. I looked at the other species of Alouatta on the same website and they do not match as well.  Hopefully someone more familiar with Brazilian skulls will have an opinion, but I think you have narrowed it down. 

image.jpeg.ec6ef177e793ba728b1441e67c2a8735.jpeg

Here are are some pictures of Ateles paniscus which was also suggested but your skull does not seem to match that. The foramen magnum is much further forward and a different shape.  Also the “hole” just behind the incisors is single in Anteles and double in yours. There are other differences as well. 

image.thumb.jpeg.180ae1ab8aaf7419e8d45d0a258b3569.jpeg