Is this a fish coprolite?

fossilhunter21

I bought this fish not to long ago and didn't really know what this thing next to the fish was.

It was today that I thought maybe this is a fish coprolite. I would appreciate any help you can give me.

20210422_095833.jpg

Yes sir, it is. 

• I Agree 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Indeed. A nice Green River Formation fish from the 18-inch layer from the looks of it. When splitting oil shale into sheets looking for fishes it seems the splits that opened the nicest always only had isolated fish scales and fish coprolites. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

agreed, diplomystus as I'm sure you already knew since you didn't ask about it ;)

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

15 minutes ago, Top Trilo said:

agreed, diplomystus as I'm sure you already knew since you didn't ask about it ;)

Yeah I was very sure that it was diplomystus.

6 hours ago, digit said:

it seems the splits that opened the nicest always only had isolated fish scales and fish coprolites. ;)

Could this be taken as an indication a time/place of abundance above this point on the lake bottom for an extended period between die offs ?

The area that all the fishermen would troll through regularly, were they around.

3 hours ago, Top Trilo said:

3 hours ago, fossilhunter21 said:

Yeah I was very sure that it was diplomystus.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it's not  a Diplomystus.

It's a Knightia eocaena.  ;) 

It is lacking the thickened post cranial bones on the back, as well as the thickened scales leading up to the dorsal fin.

The anal fin is too short for Diplomystus, and the caudal fin is not nearly forked enough to be a Diplo.  

large.DSCN7550-5.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

19 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

It is lacking the thickened post cranial bones in the back, as well as the thickened scales leading up to the dorsal fin.

The anal fin is too short for Diplomystus, and the caudal fin is not nearly forked enough to be a Diplo.  

Thank you Tim, I assumed the fins were larger just poorly preserved but after looking at images of each it is obvious. The diplomystus anal fin starts about halfway on the fish but on knightia it is much further back.

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

44 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

It is lacking the thickened post cranial bones in the back, as well as the thickened scales leading up to the dorsal fin.

The anal fin is too short for Diplomystus, and the caudal fin is not nearly forked enough to be a 

Yeah sometimes fish can be hard to identify.  ;)

• I Agree 1