Mrs PreK Teacher

I found hundreds of these in San Antonio and would like to have a few interesting facts for my 5 year old students. My best guess from pictures online was they are exogyra? And they are from the Cretaceous period? I also do not want to give them the wrong information.  Can anyone help? The pictures I am sending are all of just one fossil. 

1490854581_fossilfour.jpg

1990313379_fossilone.jpg

1292285982_fossilthree.jpg

629362679_fossiltwo.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

Definitely looks like an oyster, probably Exogyra sp.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 5

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I cannot help with the ID, but I think that is such a wonderful thing to do for your students!

• Thank You 1

1 minute ago, Petalodus12 said:

I cannot help with the ID, but I think that is such a wonderful thing to do for your students!

Thank you! I will have a surprise for them after we learn about them. I brought enough for each to have one.  Hope the parents don't mind as they are all military with potential PCS moves. LOL Now the teacher sends a rock home...hahaha

• Enjoyed 4

HWelcome to the forum and that is an awesome “gift” to give the kids!  The one you have shown is a very nice specimen and indeed is an Exogyra. There are many different species of that genus and without knowing what formation it came out of, it may be hard to pin down more specifically, but that is probably more detail then the kids would want anyway - haha.   This is a type of mollusk and is an oyster, related to oysters still around today that are common in our local marine waters. 

They lived during the Cretaceous as you mentioned, primarily the Upper Cretaceous so the age is ~66-100 million years ago. This was of course during the time of the dinosaurs, but most of Texas was covered by water at that time (a much larger Gulf of Mexico and a seaway that extended north to Canada) so we don’t have dinosaur fossils in this area but rather marine creatures, such as these oysters, as well as ammonites, other shells, echinoids, sharks teeth, and lots of other fossils.  These are often called a ”Devils toenail”. 

Edited by ClearLake
Spelling
  • I found this Informative 2
  • Thank You 1

Compare to Exogyra costata.

Welcome to The Forum.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

That's amazing, I wish my teachers did stuff like that... You're really shaping their lives beautifully here, who knows, maybe some of them will grow up to be palaeontologists? Thank you so much, welcome to the forum. :wub:

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

Ok all here is the update. 

When I pulled the bucket out I was asked all kinds of questions but the one I like best was, "Are those rocks or are those sea shells?" 

So we discussed all week the information I was provided here and I even found a cute booklet for them to take home and share with their families. Today I had them use very soft paint brushes to clean the fossils. Hopefully you can see in my photos the shell we found inside a larger shell! They were so excited. I told them they were now officially 'Jr trainee Paleontologists' I didn't have the heart to tell them those were not teeth....but in the mind of a 5 year old those are some kind of dino teeth!

I can not thank this group enough for the quick response and information. I wish I could post pictures here of my kids and their smiles.

From Mrs. Silvin's class at Lackland ISD Elementary I would like to say YOU ARE ALL AWESOME!! 

book cover.jpg

Cretaceous_seaway.png

shell in shell 1.jpg

shell in shell 2.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

18 minutes ago, Mrs PreK Teacher said:

but in the mind of a 5 year old those are some kind of dino teeth

Haha, that is excellent!  I'll tell you, for a lot of folks that feeling persists way past the age of 5!  Glad the kids enjoyed it, and thank you for treating your kids to that adventure.

• Thank You 1

Teachers like you are why 35 years later my wife gets to complain about “$&@!$?@&$ rocks in my pockets...and why my students detest me....:heartylaugh:

I agree with previous IDs.

Keep up the good work!

• Enjoyed 1

• 1 year later...

Very nice!  Looks like the cross section of a gastropod (snail).  What you are seeing is the sediment that filled in the inside of the snail shell and hardened.  Then the shell dissolved away (the void space between the "half donuts") and then the rock broke in half to reveal what you have in your hand.  Its upside down in the picture.

I grabbed this picture of a gastropod steinkern off the internet to help demonstrate.  Cut this in half (long ways) and then stick it in your rock and that is what you have.

Gastropod Steinkern Fossilized 1.75in Long Spiral Fossil Seashell Fossil