Partridge Point, Alpena, Michigan Video

jugglerguy

I think the first post I made here was about Partridge Point. I'm still not a fossil expert, but I thought this video I made might be useful for someone thinking about visiting this spot. It gives a good idea of the types of fossils that you can find. Maybe someone can help me identify a couple things I wasn't sure about. 

• I found this Informative 4
  • Enjoyed 2

I enjoyed your video. It brought back memories of hunting the point. There are some nice crinoid calyxes to be had. I did go on and watch your other video about Rockport Quarry and was surprised to see the fish fossils. Now I want to return!!!!!!!!!!! How does one contact PaleoJoe?

Mike 

Actually, I found his web site!

Edited by minnbuckeye

Really nice video!  Thanks!  I especially like the blastoids and crinoid calyxes.  :wub:  I'll have to see if I can put Alpena on my travel itinerary one of these days. 

Don

10 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

I enjoyed your video. It brought back memories of hunting the point. There are some nice crinoid calyxes to be had. I did go on and watch your other video about Rockport Quarry and was surprised to see the fish fossils. Now I want to return!!!!!!!!!!! How does one contact PaleoJoe?

Mike 

Actually, I found his web site!

Paleo Joe does a lot of tours in the Alpena area. Those fish fossils are not easy to find. Joe said that they are only in one part of the quarry.

8 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

Really nice video!  Thanks!  I especially like the blastoids and crinoid calyxes.  :wub:  I'll have to see if I can put Alpena on my travel itinerary one of these days. 

Don

There are a lot of good fossils hunting spots in the Alpena area. Rockport State Park is another good spot.

Hi nice video. I was there last August on road trip, and found similar fossils.  I enjoy your Michigan rocks videos. Keep it going.....

The metal object you found early in the video, is a very old hand forged nail, most likely from a wooden ship. We quite commonly see these hand forged nails while diving old wooden Great Lakes shipwrecks.  

On 4/27/2021 at 1:09 PM, Fossiljones said:

The metal object you found early in the video, is a very old hand forged nail, most likely from a wooden ship. We quite commonly see these hand forged nails while diving old wooden Great Lakes shipwrecks.  

I thought that was a possibility. Since Thunder Bay is a national Marine Sanctuary, I left it right there.

On 4/26/2021 at 8:36 PM, traveltip1 said:

Hi nice video. I was there last August on road trip, and found similar fossils.  I enjoy your Michigan rocks videos. Keep it going.....

Thanks!