Trilobite head

Dimitar

Love the trilobites, can't wait to see when you pull up a complete one although this looks like an area with a lot of partials and smaller fossils.

• I found this Informative 1

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

I am happy to share with you another trilobite head ( My trilobite N.3).

It is only a head, but it is worh sharing with you, because it is big.  Almost 1 cm the head.

I was going to get rid some stones as useless and I noticed this one at the last moment:

20210430_000542_HDR.jpg

No  3.1 - dimensions

20210430_000809_HDR.jpg

No 3.2

20210430_000732_HDR.jpg

No 3.3

20210430_000915_HDR.jpg

No 3.4 - side view

20210430_000954_HDR.jpg

No 3.5

20210430_001127_HDR.jpg

No 3.6  - other fauna

20210430_001157_HDR.jpg

No 3.7

This one should be also Ordovician.

Edited by Dimitar

The size of this trilobite head is near the same size of the other trilobite head that I shared here.  If the head bone is near 9 mm long, then the whole body should be around 5-6 cm. 

It is weird that I don't find many trilobites in Montreal so far.  In 50-100 pieces of rock I would find only 1 trilobite.  But those that I find seems to be really big . I have no explanation why the trilobites are missing or rare.

20210430_004725_HDR.jpg

The trilobites are between 1-2 and 8-9  on the measurement line.

Edited by Dimitar

The trilobite moults are calymenids, such as Flexicalymene senaria. What you are seeing is not a "head bone" as trilobites have exoskeletons, not bones. What you are seeing is the glabella and a bit of the adjoining fixigenae (including in the second one evidence of the anterior cephalic process or "lip"). These are indeed moults, so there will not be much more of the trilobites left, as it is customary to find isolated cephalons and pygidia in these higher energy environments.

An example of F. senaria I prepared in my collection, for comparison:

C22547AA-7545-44E8-92C3-6E17FFAEFD75.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer