Sinestia

I unearthed this monster over 3 years ago while digging for a foundation.  I luckily struck it with my shovel and not by backhoe.  It was a very bland looking rock at first glance then I looked again and have been picking at this 38 lb rock since . I find something new every time I pick it up. So any help with what it is would be great. 20210423_220000.thumb.jpg.3cd7bad08ea91424c3ad2befcbf5202b.jpg

20210423_220115.jpg

20210423_220057.jpg

20210423_220133.jpg

20210423_220219.jpg

20210423_220302.jpg

20210423_220312.jpg

20210423_220345.jpg

20210423_220350.jpg

Yep, looks like a conglomerate of rugose corals.  Do you know the age, formation of the area in which they were found?

15 minutes ago, grandpa said:

Yep, looks like a conglomerate of rugose corals.  Do you know the age, formation of the area in which they were found?

As far as age i cannot tell you simply because of my inexperience in the field and as to where it was found, it was found on my property in the foothils of Cookes Peak Mountain southern face. 

• Enjoyed 1

15 minutes ago, Sinestia said:

As far as age i cannot tell you simply because of my inexperience in the field and as to where it was found, it was found on my property in the foothils of Cookes Peak Mountain southern face. 

Typically we use geologic bedrock maps to tell the age and formation of areas. Cookes Range Geologic Map Link

Seeing this you might be able to tell us the age or formation based on your property.

Much more info on the Cookes Range here. https://geoinfo.nmt.edu/tour/landmarks/cookes_peak/home.html

In this case the Cookes Range spans a significant stratigraphic range (3000 feet of stratigraphy!). The Cookes Range seems well studied and even if the map fails we may be able to narrow it down somewhat based on rock characteristics but it will be best to start with the map and see what you can find out. The alternative is delving into some of the references cited to identify specific species and determine specific stratigraphic units at your property based on their characteristics.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, Sinestia said:

As far as age i cannot tell you simply because of my inexperience in the field

41 minutes ago, Thomas.Dodson said:

Typically we use geologic bedrock maps to tell the age and formation of areas

@Sinestia No worry about the lack of experience to-date.  You've come to a great resource to gain experience. 

@Thomas.Dodson  Mr. Dodson has already started you on your first step to learning how to discover age and formation using geologic maps.  If you have the interest in the topic, you will be able to use TFF to gain much experience and knowledge.  Continue to ask questions when you lack understanding and you'll come along quickly.  We welcome such questions here.

• Enjoyed 1

1 hour ago, grandpa said:

@Sinestia No worry about the lack of experience to-date.  You've come to a great resource to gain experience. 

@Thomas.Dodson  Mr. Dodson has already started you on your first step to learning how to discover age and formation using geologic maps.  If you have the interest in the topic, you will be able to use TFF to gain much experience and knowledge.  Continue to ask questions when you lack understanding and you'll come along quickly.  We welcome such questions here.

I appreciate it beyond measure and I assure you it is my intention to learn as much as possible.