Very suggestive stone or possible tiny Turtle?

hndmarshall

Ok here is another I am not sure of ...I am thinking it needs to go into my "looks like but not pile".... I was told it could be a very small turtle but I am skeptical  so I brought it here for a look and suggestions .... I am thinking it may be just a very suggestive pebble.

west of Houston Texas

Brazos River

Gravel bed.

20210424_173840.jpg

20210424_173849.jpg

20210424_173856.jpg

20210424_173906.jpg

20210424_173919.jpg

20210424_174112.jpg

It looks like it should be something, but I can’t figure out what. I’d definitely have picked that up as well

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

The close-up photo is a little blurry but looks like an eroded flint.  Sorry but unlikely to be a turtle. 

• I Agree 4

Yup. I'm getting an echinoid vibe from the overall shape as well. Looks like it could be an internal cast that has converted to a nice solid shiny chert. Could also be a chert nodule that has coincidentally been eroded into a very echinoid shape. I'd be more convinced of an echinoid origin if it came from a locality that was known for echinoids of the same general size and shape. Though it looks highly eroded it would be interesting to see if there is any patterning on the surface that might indicate a biological origin.

One thing is clear and that is it only bears a fanciful resemblance to a baby turtle. I've seen a lot of baby turtle carapace and plastron bones in a site that preserves turtle specimens well (Montbrook) and none of the baby turtle shells are completely articulated like this nor filled with chert.

Cool mystery rock and great skepticism. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 2