Petrified wood identification

Rubykicks

I believe this is petrified wood. I Found this and a larger piece, but the larger one is a different texture. It's more smooth with dimples and I was able to figure out identification of that one, but I'm not so sure about this one. Any information?

20210426_095249.jpg

20210426_095258_HDR.jpg

20210426_095330_HDR.jpg

20210426_095338_HDR.jpg

20210426_095348_HDR.jpg

I get more of a mineral crystal sense from this. Wood sometimes preserves (using the term loosely) this way. It takes evidence from context to identify it as such however.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

Yes, is looks like some inorganic calcite formation.*

Franz Bernhard

*Well, I am also "seeing" a rudist, but that´s my very special and personal pareidolia... :D

• Enjoyed 1

It does have some crystalized sparkle to it in places, just not consistently for me to tell anything. It does feel gritty to the touch, but isn't brittle. Is there any type of experiement an inexperienced person such as myself could do to get a better idea?

1 minute ago, Rubykicks said:

It does have some crystalized sparkle to it in places, just not consistently for me to tell anything. It does feel gritty to the touch, but isn't brittle. Is there any type of experiement an inexperienced person such as myself could do to get a better idea?

Calcite will give off small gas bubbles if you put a drop or so of vinegar on it.

2 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Calcite will give off small gas bubbles if you put a drop or so of vinegar on it.

I did know that, but I thought fossils did that also?

21 minutes ago, Rubykicks said:

I did know that, but I thought fossils did that also?

If they are composed of calcium carbonate, like echinoids and most mollusc shells, yes.

The thing is, most fossil wood is not composed of calcium carbonate, but of varieties of silica. These would not bubble with vinegar, of course. So, if it does bubble, the chances are slim, that it is fossil wood. Calcified fossil wood is not unheard of, but rare.

2 hours ago, Rubykicks said:

Is there any type of experiment an inexperienced person such as myself could do to get a better idea?

Is there a fresh or weathered cross section somewhere on this specimen? I can not see any fresh break or good weathering, which may both provide some insight into the internal structure.

You can try to grind, sand and polish one of the ends or a small part of it. This would require at least wet sand paper of various grades and some time.

Franz Bernhard

I have several similar peices, calcite is the king of disguise.  Another way to tell is hardness, solid petrified wood is usually difficult to break while calcite breaks easily. When in doubt I smack it as I did with the first peice.:)

IMG_20210427_123325739.jpg

IMG_20210427_123316163.jpg

IMG_20210427_125210407.jpg

IMG_20210427_130701384.jpg

45 minutes ago, Lone Hunter said:

I have several similar peices, calcite is the king of disguise.  Another way to tell is hardness, solid petrified wood is usually difficult to break while calcite breaks easily. When in doubt I smack it as I did with the first peice.:)

IMG_20210427_123325739.jpg

IMG_20210427_123316163.jpg

IMG_20210427_125210407.jpg

IMG_20210427_130701384.jpg

Yea, this peice is not breaking. I actually hit it with a rock hammer when I found it because I thought it could have been pretty on the inside. It was not until after that, that I thought it might be wood. 

There is a weathered cross section. I'll get a picture of it once I get home. 

Ok guys, I was out of vinegar, but dipped it in a citric acid solution and it was bubbling. And here are some closer images that may help withthe cross section. 

20210428_143142_HDR.jpg

20210428_142944.jpg

20210428_143023.jpg