Help with ID'ing senonian heteromorph ammonites

Nadav

These heteromorph ammonites were found in the middle East in a senonian outcrop. In a limestone but the fossils are made of flint and removed by acid. the pieces are 3-4 centimetres long and are three different individuals. Can you please help me ID them?

DSC_0656.JPG

DSC_0653.JPG

DSC_0654.JPG

DSC_0655.JPG

DSC_0652.JPG

Edited by Nadav
  • Enjoyed 2

Which part of the Senonian? I have seen similar specimens labeled Solenoceras

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

Cephalopods rule!!

Do you know the geological formation?  That would help to access the literature.  I agree that Solenoceras seems.to be a good fit, but without suture lines it's hard to be sure.

Don

• Thank You 1

3 hours ago, fossisle said:

Which part of the Senonian? I have seen similar specimens labeled Solenoceras

1 hour ago, FossilDAWG said:

Do you know the geological formation?  That would help to access the literature.  I agree that Solenoceras seems.to be a good fit, but without suture lines it's hard to be sure.

Don

The formation is Menuha or Mishash not 100% sure which one. I have one part that shows the suture lines:

Screenshot_20210428-063705.png

14 hours ago, Nadav said:

The formation is Menuha or Mishash not 100% sure which one. I have one part that shows the suture lines:

Screenshot_20210428-063705.png

So Santonian to Maastrichtian still a long time period

Cephalopods rule!!

The Mishash Formation is known for its silicified fossils (see here).  Also Kennedy and Lunn 2000 (link) described ammonites from the Shinarish Formation in northwest Iraq, including Solenoceras reesidei, and state that many of the same ammonites occur in the Mishash Formation in Israel.

Don

7 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

The Mishash Formation is known for its silicified fossils (see here).  Also Kennedy and Lunn 2000 (link) described ammonites from the Shinarish Formation in northwest Iraq, including Solenoceras reesidei, and state that many of the same ammonites occur in the Mishash Formation in Israel.

Don

Thank you so much!