Big Brook NJ teeth ID

Moses Oberlander

Hi, I found all these teeth at Big Brook in NJ I know that they are mostly or all shark teeth but I would like to know more info and species if anyone is willing to help, thanks!

(My first post btw)

C9B592DD-BFBD-4A32-AC2B-D811A63EC8F6.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

Hello, and welcome to the forum! :meg:

I'm not an NJ native, but hunt in a similar age and environment. The ones not circled are not enough for me to positively ID, or I don't know. 

These are all shark teeth, and I'll give a basic rundown:

C9B592DD-BFBD-4A32-AC2B-D811A63EC8F6.jpeg.61f32b99314c8479dbb81930acd82489.thumb.jpeg.7195c049ffc7439feeb91c4594eab16f.jpeg

Hopefully someone who is more familiar with the site can confirm/refute these ID's.

• I found this Informative 4
  • Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

@ThePhysicist wow!!! That’s a nice welcome! Thank you so much for taking the time to go through all of these and explain them I truly appreciate it!!

I agree with ThePhysicist's IDs. The small tooth on the left of the "Sand Tigers?" group looks like it could be Squatina sp. which would make it Squatina hassei from Big Brook.

A quick search suggests that the Scaphanorhynchus and Cretolamna species present in Big Brook are the typical texanum and appendiculata (same as the links ThePhysicist shared). I'd guess you have mostly Squalicorax kaupi but S. pristodontus is also found there. The links above show how to differentiate the two when the roots are intact.

Lastly, here's a Big Brook guide that goes over species found there. https://www.fossilguy.com/sites/bbrook/bbrook_col.htm#shark

• Enjoyed 1

Two other websites for identifying NJ fossils. 

LINK 1   LINK 2

• Thank You 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

13 hours ago, Thomas.Dodson said:

I agree with ThePhysicist's IDs. The small tooth on the left of the "Sand Tigers?" group looks like it could be Squatina sp. which would make it Squatina hassei from Big Brook.

Or maybe Protolamna borodini. Need a good close up pic. I'm just guessing based on what looks like a massive root.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

12 hours ago, Thomas.Dodson said:

@ThePhysicist @Thomas.Dodson @Plax I took some closeups from this tooth, hopefully you can ID thanks everyone!! ( think Protolamna borodini is the correct ID) 

6A18D1FB-7264-4BCE-A989-6434CFD52872.jpeg

14CB637C-9EDD-4500-AE42-EF083E59A45C.jpeg

59E4778D-3B7C-4470-A24C-AD3A9C5D167A.jpeg

Edited by Moses Oberlander

2 hours ago, Moses Oberlander said:

I took some closeups from this tooth, hopefully you can ID thanks everyone!! ( think Protolamna borodini is the correct ID) 

Very nice find!  I agree with the borodini ID.   I still have not found of them yet.  I will this summer when I finally get back out.