sseth

I just thought I would share a few pictures of this amazing snake I was able to acquire from a good friend who is letting go of a few pieces of his collection.  He is getting up in age and I was honored enough to be the recipient of a few incredible pieces. 

This snake was found in 1988 in a cave on private property in Oregon.  It is Pleistocene in age and is believed to be a species of racer (colubridae).

Enjoy

Seth

snake.jpg

DSC03315.jpg

DSC03309.jpg

DSC03321.jpg

• I found this Informative 4
  • Enjoyed 9

fossil-shack-new-banner-use-copy.png
www.fossilshack.com

www.americanfossil.com

www.fishdig.com

What Roger said!  WOW!!!  :drool:

What an amazing fossil!!! 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Great snake, and congrats on adding it to your collection.  

The last line in the card needs updating.  There have been a half dozen nearly complete snakes found in the White River Fm of Wyoming.  A nodule in the UW collections contains three individuals and a second has a single snake. There are a few more in the private collection of the guy who found them. 

I believe another one has been found in the Green River Fm. since the text was written.  Am I correct?  

Oh wow! That's one amazing specimen! Congrats on being able to acquire it! Truly stunning! :default_faint:

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

1 hour ago, jpc said:

Great snake, and congrats on adding it to your collection.  

The last line in the card needs updating.  There have been a half dozen nearly complete snakes found in the White River Fm of Wyoming.  A nodule in the UW collections contains three individuals and a second has a single snake. There are a few more in the private collection of the guy who found them. 

I believe another one has been found in the Green River Fm. since the text was written.  Am I correct?  

You are correct.  We have even found a partial at our quarry.  This is the original card from the 80's that was kept with it so I am going to keep it for history purposes.

• I found this Informative 1

fossil-shack-new-banner-use-copy.png
www.fossilshack.com

www.americanfossil.com

www.fishdig.com

A way cool fossil and still quite rare by most standards. Nice to see exceptional specimens from older collections migrate into the hands of the next generation.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I Agree 1

7 hours ago, sseth said:

You are correct.  We have even found a partial at our quarry.  This is the original card from the 80's that was kept with it so I am going to keep it for history purposes.

I thought you guys might have found one... YES by all means, keep the card with it forever.  

Wow. Once again I sprayed my keyboard with coffee. Good news is I finally got a waterproof cover on it.

Outstanding specimen!

• Enjoyed 1